“Words cannot describe what this experience has meant to me, it has always been a dream of mine to study abroad in England, and I am so grateful that it was with LISS.”
We recommend that you apply as soon as possible as enrolment is limited and allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Applying early also means you are more likely to secure a place on your first choice of modules as popular subjects are likely to fill up quickly.
How to apply
Due to the ongoing development of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, both in the UK and worldwide, we have made the very difficult decision to cancel Leeds International Summer School (LISS) 2020. We understand that this is disappointing news, however, we are already making plans for Leeds International Summer School 2021. Please contact us to be added to our mailing list to find out more.
Completing the form
The system times out after 10 minutes of inactivity so please have your information and supporting documents ready. You should save your application regularly.
You must complete all fields that are marked as required; this includes uploading the following supporting documents:
- official transcript (in English) from your home university
- supporting statement (outlining your reasons for applying to take part in LISS)
- copy of your English Language Certificate and scores eg IELTS (only for non-native speakers from outside of Europe)
Once you have submitted your application form we will review it within three weeks and will contact you via email to inform you of the outcome of your application.
To be eligible to apply for our summer school you should:
- have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 or equivalent
- be enrolled at a university, or be a recent graduate
- meet our English language requirements. We accept the following qualifications and these are the minimum requirements for non-native English speakers of non EU/EEA nationality:
- IELTS 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
- TOEFL (iBT) 80 (80 overall, listening and reading: 18, speaking and writing: 19)
- TOEIC (all four components are required) listening: 400, reading: 385, speaking: 160, writing: 150
- Password Skills 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
Other equivalent language test scores may also be considered, and students with extensive English language experience may be exempt - please contact us for more details. Please note we do not accept CET-4 or CET-6.
Non-native English speakers of EU/EEA nationality are expected to meet Level B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for languages.
If you are not sure whether you meet our entry requirements, or what the equivalencies are for your qualifications please contact us.
If you require a visa to enter the UK you will need to apply for a Short-term Study Visa to attend the summer school a standard visa will not be accepted. Please note, however, that you should always check the immigration requirements for your country and your passport before departing for the UK. Read our visa guidance for more details.
Please ensure that you enter the UK through passport control. Please do not use the electronic ePassport gates as you will not receive the correct immigration permission stamp if you enter the UK via this method.
English language courses
If you dont meet the above English language requirement for the International Summer School, you may be eligible to study the undergraduate pre-sessional English course taught by the Language Centre.
This course will help to:
- prepare you with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully study with us
- improve your academic English language skills
- develop your understanding of the UK University system, services and facilities
If you do meet the English language requirement for the International Summer School, you can still apply for the undergraduate pre-sessional English course. Or, you could apply for the following course taught by the Language Centre:
If you apply for this English language course, please tell us on your International Summer School application.