“Words cannot describe what this experience has meant to me, it has always been a dream of mine to study abroad in England, and I am so grateful that it was with LISS.”
We recommend that you apply as soon as possible as enrolment is limited and allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Applying early also means you are more likely to secure a place on your first choice of academic modules run especially for Leeds International Summer School (LISS) as popular subjects are likely to fill up quickly.
How to apply
To apply for Leeds International Summer School 2021, please complete our online application form. Please ensure that you submit your form before the application deadline:
- Early application deadline: 1 April 2021
- Final application deadline: 1 May 2021
Completing the form
Please read the instructions on the first page of the application form carefully. You cannot save your application and complete it later so please make sure you have the following information ready before you begin your application:
- Personal details including your contact information
- Academic details including your home university and current academic standing e.g. GPA
- First and second choice modules for your chosen block(s)
You should also have the following supporting documents ready to upload as part of the online application:
- Supporting statement (500 - 1000 word brief essay outlining your reasons for applying to take part in LISS)
- Official academic transcript (in English) from your home university
- Copy of your English Language Certificate and scores (if required, please see our minimum language requirements below)
- Scholarship application (optional, please follow the instructions on the first page of the application form)
Once you have submitted your application form we will review it within three weeks and will contact you via email to inform you of the outcome of your application. If you have any questions about the application form or the supporting documents, please email us with your query.
To be eligible to apply for our summer school you must be enrolled at a university, or be a recent graduate. You must be in good academic standing at your home university, with a minimum grade average of 56 (UK system), GPA of 2.8 (US system), GPA of 5.0 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements.
If the country you study in is not on the Student visa exceptions list, you will need to submit evidence that you meet our language requirements. If you are being taught in English at your home university, you do not need to provide a language certificate. Instead, we will ask you to provide evidence that you are taught in English. This could be a link to your home university's website or a letter from your home university confirming the language of teaching for your degree programme.
Minimum language requirements:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT): 80 (80 overall, listening and reading: 18, speaking and writing: 19)
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC): listening: 400, reading: 385, speaking: 160, writing: 150 (all four components are required)
- Password Skills 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
If you need to evidence the English language entry requirement but have not taken IELTS or TOEFL, you can refer to the accepted English Language qualifications for your country or region on the Admissions qualifications page.
Please note we do not accept College English Tests CET-4 or CET-6.
If you require a visa to enter the UK, you will need to apply for a Visitor Visa to attend the summer school. Please note, however, that you should always check the immigration requirements for your country and your passport before departing for the UK. Read our visa guidance for more details.
English language courses
If you dont meet the above English language requirement for the International Summer School, you may be eligible to study the undergraduate pre-sessional English course taught by the Language Centre.
This course will help to:
- prepare you with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully study with us
- improve your academic English language skills
If you do meet the English language requirement for the International Summer School, you can still apply for the undergraduate pre-sessional English course. Or, you could apply for the following online course taught by the Language Centre:
If you apply for this English language course, or the pre-sessional course, please tell us on your International Summer School application.