Section 1: University Minimum English language requirements
The University recognises a range of English Language qualifications and where applicable, will make an offer which is based on one of the approved tests. All approved tests must have been awarded no less than 2 years from the proposed start date.
The minimum University language requirement is IELTS band score 6.0 - with not less than 5.5 in any skill area or Internet based TOEFL 87 (with not less than 20 in listening, 20 in reading, 22 in speaking and 21 in writing).
Section 2: Higher University English language requirements
A higher level of English of IELTS Band Score 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in any skill area) or Internet based TOEFL 92 (with not less than 21 in listening, 21 in reading, 23 in speaking and 22 in writing) is required in the following Schools and Faculties:
- Faculty of Medicine and Health
- School of Design
- School of Education
- School of English
- School of Food Science and Nutrition
- School of History (including the Institute of Medieval Studies)
- School of Languages, Cultures and Societies
- School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science
- School of Music
- School of Performance and Cultural Industries
- School of Politics and International Studies
- School of Sociology and Social Policy
The School of Computing and the School of Media and Communication require IELTS Band Score 6.5 (with not less than 6.5 in writing and not less than 6.0 in any other skill area) or Internet Based TOEFL 92 (with not less than 21 in listening, 21 in reading, 23 in speaking and 23 in writing).
The School of Fine Art, History of Art and Cultural Studies require IELTS Band Score 6.5 (with not less than 7.0 in writing and not less than 6.0 in any other skill area) or Internet Based TOEFL 92 (with not less than 21 in listening, 21 in reading, 23 in speaking and 24 in writing).
Leeds University Business School require IELTS Band Score 7.0 (with not less than 6.0 in any skill area) or Internet Based TOEFL 100 (with not less than 21 in listening, 21 in reading, 23 in speaking and 22 in writing).
The School of Law, the Professional Doctorate and the Integrated degree of PhD and MSc in Clinical Dentistry in the Leeds Dental Institute and programs in Nutritional Epidemiology within the School of Food Science and Nutrition, require IELTS band score 7.0 (with not less than 6.5 in any skill area) or Internet Based TOEFL 100 (with not less than 22 in listening, 22 in reading, 24 in speaking and 23 in writing).
Section 3: University Minimum English language requirements - equivalencies
Other minimum acceptable scores for the most commonly presented English Language qualifications:
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic or PTE Academic UKVI at 60 overall with no less than 59 in any component. Please note that we cannot accept results from these tests that are over two years old at the start date of the course you intend to study.
- Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English grade C or above
- Cambridge ESOL Certificate of Proficiency in English grade C or above
- City and Guilds (Pitman) English for Speakers of Other Languages Pass at Expert or the Higher Mastery in both the ESOL and spoken ESOL examinations
- GCE O level in English grade C or above
- IGCSE English grade C or above
- IGCSE English as a second language grade C or above
- International Baccalaureate English grade 4 or above
- Malaysian Certificate of Education: English language at Ordinary level if designated 121 (not 322 or 122): grades 1 - 6
- Hong Kong Examinations Authority Use of English: grades A – C
- Hong Kong Examinations Authority Certificate of Education in English language Syllabus B (Ordinary): grades A - C
- Cambridge Overseas School Certificate in English language: grades 1 – 6
- Singapore/Cambridge GCE O level in English language: grades 1 – 6
- Standard XII English at 70% or 75% depending on state board
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English Examination at level III
European High School Certificates as follows:
8 or higher (9, 10, 11, 12, 13) in English in the Højere Forberedelseseksamen.
4 or higher (5, 6) in English in the Ylioppilastutkinto / studentexamen.
2 or higher (1) in English in the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife / Abitur.
7.5 or higher (8, 9, 10) in English in the Voorberidend Wetenschappe Onderwijs.
4 or higher (5, 6) in English in the Vitnemal.
3 / Godkänd or higher (4 / Väl Godkänd, 5 / Mycket Väl Godkänd) in English in the Avgangsbetyg.
Irish Leaving Certificate – Grade C or above in Ordinary Level English.
Section 4: English language exemptions
The following applicants are not required to provide further English Language qualification as proof of English language proficiency:
1. Native English speakers from the following countries who have completed compulsory education and have been educated to first degree level in English:
- Caribbean States where English is the first language
- New Zealand
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
2. Non-native English speaking applicants if they have been awarded a postgraduate degree or an undergraduate degree studied from one of the above countries where English is the first language, used as the medium of instruction throughout the education system.
A postgraduate degree must be studied on a full-time, continuous basis, be at least 12 months in duration and awarded* no more than 2 years from the proposed start date.
An undergraduate degree must be studied on a full-time, continuous basis for at least two academic sessions (years) and awarded no more than 2 years from the proposed start date.
*The date of award is taken to be the standard award date assuming the student has had no extensions to their period of study and has been awarded at the earliest opportunity following the completion of the course. For example, a Leeds Masters student who started their course in September would have an award date of November of the following year.