Parents FAQs

Find the answers to some frequently asked questions.

Admissions 2021/22

Will admissions processes be different this year due to the pandemic?

This year we have continued to accept and review UCAS applications as normal, though any interviews or applicant visit days have taken place virtually rather than on campus.

For applicants where the current disruption has had a significant impact, we ask that their school includes information about this in the reference, where possible. If your child’s application has already been submitted, please send any information or supporting documents to the admissions team using the email address on the relevant course page. We also expect that the exam board will have been notified so that any adjustments could be made at the point of assessment and marking.

At present, we have not announced any major University-wide changes to our admissions process for applicants applying from September 2021. Our Coursefinder pages outline the admissions process and policy for each of our courses. As long as applicants are able to meet the entry requirements outlined for their course and apply before any deadlines, we will consider their application.

How does the cancellation of exams affect my child’s offer?

We are fully committed to ensuring that our admissions processes are fair and that none of our applicants are disadvantaged by the changes to exams. We will stay in regular contact with applicants to keep them informed and keep our applicant FAQs updated.

What should we expect on results day?

Your child will receive their results from their school or college – this may be in person, by post or electronically. Universities are not permitted to disclose results to applicants.

If your child meets the offer conditions for their firm choice, they will be accepted and this will show in UCAS Track as ‘unconditional firm’. If they miss the firm conditions but meet the requirements for their insurance university, that university will become your child’s unconditional firm choice instead. If the insurance university cannot accept your child’s grades either, they will enter UCAS Clearing.

We will email all our successful applicants to confirm their place and let them know about their next steps. We will also update this page nearer the time with details on how your child can get in touch with us if they need to discuss their application once they have their results.

What happens if my child does not meet the conditions of their University of Leeds offer?

We have a process in place to consider applicants who have not met their offer conditions, so they will not automatically be made unsuccessful.

For some courses, we may be able to offer a small degree of flexibility in order to accept applicants who did not meet their conditions exactly.

Alternatively, if we are not able to offer your child a place on their original course, we may make them an offer for a similar course instead. This is called a changed course offer, and your child will be able to accept or decline it in UCAS Track. If this is not an option, unfortunately your child’s application will be made unsuccessful.

What happens if my child does not agree with their teacher-assessed grades?

Students will have the right to appeal their A-level grades if they are unhappy with them. The first appeal will go through their school or college and this can then be taken further to the exam board, if required. Students should be aware that grades can go up or down as the result of an appeal.

Ofqual is currently holding a consultation about the possibility of an autumn series of A-level exams for students unsatisfied with their teacher-assessed grades.

For students taking other qualifications, the awarding organisations will have their own appeals processes but, if they are awarded their qualification through teacher assessment, they will have access to a right of appeal on the same basis as that set out for A-levels.

Some of our courses may not be able to confirm a place following an improved final grade after an appeal where the initial results had not met the offer conditions, though applicants may be offered a deferred place or asked to re-apply.

What if my child needs to go through Clearing?

Clearing is available for students who are applying after 30 June who did not receive or accept any offers or did not get the grades they were expecting. Although some courses may already be full, there are usually many opportunities available in Clearing, both for those who have missed their conditions and those who have had a last-minute change of heart about their university or course.

For students who already have their results, Clearing will be available from 5 July, though the main Clearing period begins on A-level results day (Tuesday 10 August). You will be able to check our website at that time to see which courses are available and find out how your child can contact us to discuss making a Clearing application.

UCAS also offers a personalised service called Clearing Plus which will show your child relevant course vacancies at universities using what they already know from your child’s application.

You can find out more about Clearing on the UCAS website.

How do accommodation and finance work for Clearing applicants?

Clearing applicants will be able to apply for accommodation once their place has been confirmed with us. We will aim to allocate their room by early September. While we unfortunately cannot guarantee Clearing applicants a place in a University residence, we are confident we will be able to help them find accommodation.

If your child has previously applied for student finance, they can easily change their course details through their student finance account. If not, they can still apply after their Clearing place has been confirmed, though they may have to wait a little longer to receive all of their money.

How do accommodation and finance work for insurance applicants?

If Leeds was originally your child’s insurance option but it becomes their firm choice once they have received their results, they will then be able to apply for accommodation. We can guarantee them a room as long as they apply by 31 August. We will aim to allocate their accommodation by early September. We recommend that insurance applicants take a look at our accommodation options in advance, just in case they need to make an application.

If your child has previously applied for student finance, they can easily change their course details through their student finance account. If not, they can still apply after their new firm place has been confirmed, though they may have to wait a little longer to receive all of their money.

What happens if my child gets better grades than planned?

If your child gets better grades than expected, they can look for alternative courses through UCAS Adjustment.

This is entirely optional, and a lot of competitive courses will be full, but other applicants might have missed their conditions or swapped courses too, so it could be worth seeing what is available. If your child does not find anything they like, they will simply retain their original firm offer, so there is nothing to lose by looking.

Please see the UCAS website for more information about Adjustment.

What happens if my child changes their mind about their university, course or year of entry?

If your child holds an offer from us but wants to change their course or year of entry, this may be possible. They should contact the admissions team for their course (and for the new course, if applicable) to discuss this. Contact details can be found in our course listings.

If your child wants to change their firm and insurance choices, they have until 23 July to request this by contacting the universities involved. After that time, reply swaps are not possible, so if your child decides that they no longer wish to attend their firm choice, their only option is to decline it in UCAS Track once they have their results. Please note that this will place them into Clearing, not with their insurance choice, so they should consider their decision carefully.


How and when should I pay the tuition fees?

Eligible full-time or part-time UK or EU students can apply for a loan from the government to cover the full cost of the tuition fees and they will not have to start paying it back until they are earning over a certain amount. There is information on repaying student loans on Gov.UK.

If a student is a full-time undergraduate who has chosen not to take a loan but has not set up a plan to pay in instalments, the full amount is due immediately when they register. The fee for the full year is shown on the student's registration screen. If you have other tuition queries please contact the relevant Accounts Receivable clerk.

Can bills be sent to a third party?

No, we cannot automatically issue bills to a third party. All statements are sent via email to students at their University of Leeds email address. This is because our contract is with the student and nobody else. You can gain access to financial information with their permission by requesting their PIN. Find out how students can allow a third party to contact us on their behalf.

The Student Loans Company have got my household income wrong. What should I do?

If you believe the Student Loans Company have assessed your household income incorrectly, you can request a reassessment by phone on +44 0845 300 5090.

How much should my child budget for each week?

This varies but Leeds University Union offers guidance about the typical cost of living for students in Leeds. Please visit Leeds University Union money advice pages.

Can you send me a Council Tax Exemption certificate or a Registration Confirmation Certificate for my son or daughter?

Students need to apply for their own certificates due to legislation under the Data Protection Act. Students can apply online for a Council Tax Exemption certificate or Registration Confirmation Certificate, or in person at the Student Services Centre counter.

I am currently facing financial difficulties due to COVID-19/my income has changed. What do I do?

Student Finance (SF) know that during the COVID-19 lockdown period, parents may have been furloughed, had working hours reduced or have maybe lost their job entirely. Do not worry. They can account for this situation when they run a financial assessment. If this applies to you and there has been a significant drop in your household income since April 2020, SF can use up to date, current income figures. This ensures that financial assessments are as accurate as they can be.

For more information about this process, have a look at their Current Year Income Assessment page and download an income assessment form if required.


What happens if my child fails any of their modules?

The students’ union website offers advice on resitting modules that have been failed. Students are advised to contact their school for any further advice. They should also contact their school as soon as possible to inform them of any mitigating circumstances they feel may have contributed to their failure.

What will my child’s contact hours be?

Contact hours vary according to the course. Some will involve more reading outside of lectures than others and others will entail lab work. Students are advised to contact their school for information on their specific course. Our students are supported in their academic and personal development through regular, structured meetings with a personal tutor throughout their time at university.

How can I find out how my child is doing academically?

UK universities are not permitted to release information about academic progress, attendance or anything else to any third party without that student's express consent. If you want to know how your son/daughter is doing at Leeds, all you can do is ask them. Students facing academic, social or personal issues can speak to their personal tutor or find out more about our support services.

What can students expect from undergraduate study going forward? Are online lectures and blended learning here to stay? How much contact will they have with staff?

All of our students will have a substantial and sustained on-campus education throughout the academic year 2021/22.  Face-to-face teaching will operate for seminars, tutorials, workshops, practical classes, performance activities and discussion groups.

Larger teaching activities will be online, using digital technologies to support learning and increase access and flexibility. Our approach recognises the ongoing uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, and we are doing everything we can to keep everyone safe.

Teaching hours vary depending on the course your child is doing and their year of study, however, each student at the University will have their own personal tutor from within their academic school. This person will play a crucial role in maximising your child's success and providing them with support and guidance. Please see the your personal tutor page for more information.

Student life

What is freshers’ week?

There will be a series of induction and welcome events in the first few weeks of each academic year. Fresher's week will include fairs, with a range of information available about societies and sports clubs, and chances to meet other students. We have more than 250 societies so there are plenty of opportunities for your son or daughter to try something new. Our students' union releases further information about activities in advance of freshers’ week. Students can keep an eye on the Leeds University Union events calendar to find out more.

Are there many opportunities for part-time work in Leeds?

Joblink is an on-campus and online job centre that is part of the students’ union. It can help students looking for part-time, temporary or voluntary work. The service is for members of Leeds University Union and recent graduates.

How much part-time work would be advisable for a student alongside their studies?

Joblink’s part-time job advertisements usually indicate how many hours per week the student will be expected to work, with categories of one-to-ten hours, ten to 15 hours and 15-20 hours. Individual students should take into account their workload and other commitments when deciding whether to take on a part-time job and how many hours they would like to work.

My child has a disability/health condition. How will they be supported?

The University has a fantastic Disability Services team. Please encourage your child to register with them as soon as possible through completing a short form and providing evidence.

Disabled students make up over 14% of the student body at Leeds. We know that the word “disability” can mean different things to different people, and your child may not have thought of themselves as being disabled before. But it is worth considering whether you might be entitled to support.

Once your child has submitted their details, the team will review their registration to ensure that they have given all the information needed. They will contact your child within a few weeks to confirm their registration and advise about next steps. While your child is waiting for the application to be processed, you can encourage them to apply for disabled students’ funding, as this also takes some time to set up. Find information about funding and eligibility on our funding for disabled students page.

Our disability services at Leeds page includes more information and a handbook for prospective students.

How will you be supporting new students who, as a result of the past year, may need additional support in the transition from school to university (pastorally and perhaps financially too)?

At Leeds we have really strong wellbeing and support services and we pride ourselves on that. We are aware that increasingly, more students may be struggling, and we are committed to supporting all students throughout their transition to University.

Each student is allocated an academic personal tutor when they start with us and this contact will keep in touch with your child regularly, helping with the transition to university study.

Leeds University Union’s (LUU) Help and Support team provide support on all matters of student life, including student finances, loans, fees and funding, and advice on budgeting and managing debt. They can help students apply for funding and get support if you are facing financial hardship.

We also understand that students may have increased anxiety about coronavirus, starting at university and interacting with others. This can be heightened when living away from home. Services such as LUU, the university chaplaincy, and the main student counselling and wellbeing service are on hand to offer support, as well as the accommodation services who have been doing everything they can to help keep students safe and comfortable.

Please see our Coronavirus website for more information on the support available.