Page last updated: 8 November 2018

Leeds is an international university, and we want to continue to attract and welcome students and staff from across Europe and around the world.

We know there is continuing uncertainty about Brexit for students, postgraduate researchers and staff at the University. We will continue to track what is happening and will provide updates on this page to help you understand any possible impact. We will work hard to ensure members of our University community who are affected by Brexit are properly supported.

Visa and immigration status for EU students and postgraduate researchers at Leeds

EU citizens currently studying here who have lived in the UK continuously for less than five years will need to apply for ‘pre-settled status’ and will then be able to remain for a further five years. Settled status can be applied for after five years of continuous residence in the UK, if at least six months of each of the five years has been spent living in the UK.

EU citizens studying here who have lived in the UK continuously for five years will need to apply for ‘settled status’ and will then be able to remain for the duration of their course and beyond.

You can apply, read more about the requirements of the application and find out when the scheme opens on the government website.

Sign up for e-mail updates about the opening of the scheme.

We also confirm that having Comprehensive Sickness Insurance throughout your period of residence in the UK is no longer a requirement for settled status.

Fees and student finance for EU students

EU students who currently receive student loans and/or grants from Student Finance England (SFE), and EU nationals applying to start courses in England in the 2019/20 academic year can find information about this from Student Finance England.

Current EU students and postgraduate researchers

EU students and researchers who started in 2018 or earlier will continue to be classified as ‘home/EU’ and qualify for this level of fee and financial support for the duration of their course at Leeds.

Study and work abroad

Current study abroad and work placement students eligible for Erasmus+ are continuing to receive their grants.

Study and work abroad placements in the EU from summer 2019 onwards

If a year abroad is a compulsory part of your course we will provide study or work experience in a relevant country.

In the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit there may be some disruption to EU-based study and work placements. Our staff are already working hard with our EU partners to secure places and avoid potential problems. 

Students applying for optional overseas study or work placements in non-EU destinations are advised to continue as normal and we will try to minimise changes to EU destinations.

Please see the Erasmus website and this government statement for more information.

If you want to find out more, please talk to the study abroad office.

Staff and postgraduate researchers

The For Staff website has a dedicated section on Brexit which shares the latest updates, advice and guidance for EU nationals employed at the University.

Postgraduate researchers already studying at Leeds will receive confirmation direct from their funders but we understand that these researchers will continue on their current funding basis for the duration of their study programme.

We expect financial arrangements for future non-UK EU postgraduate researchers to be confirmed by each funding organisation when financial packages are publicised.

We will continue to provide updates through these pages and the student and Doctoral College newsletters.

While the University endeavours to keep this information as up to date as possible, it cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. For the latest information from the government, please visit the Department for Exiting the European Union website. Regularly updated Brexit FAQs for universities and students are also available on the Universities UK website.