We are pleased to offer scholarships for forced migrants to the UK. The Sanctuary Scholarship is open to people who wish to study any undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree. The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition and £10,000 a year towards living costs.
There are a limited number of scholarships available. Successful applicants will be chosen using a set of selection criteria before a shortlisted group will be invited to interview. Successful applicants will not have to repay any of the money they receive through the scholarship.
Degrees you can study
You can apply for this scholarship if you have an offer or intend to study any of the following degrees full-time or part-time:
- Any undergraduate degree (not including Foundation degrees) starting in September 2020.
- Any postgraduate degree starting in September 2020.
- Any research degree, including a PhD, starting from September 2020.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom (a person displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures).
- Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
As well as meeting both of the above criteria, you also will need to have the residency status of one of the following:
- An asylum seeker a person who has made a claim within the UK for refugee status.
- A refugee who is unable to access funding from Student Finance England.
- A person who has been granted limited or discretionary leave to remain
- Indefinite leave to remain
- Section 67 Leave
- Leave as an Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC leave)
Please note that this scholarship is awarded on the understanding that students will continue to have immigration status that allows them to study for the duration of their course. If the student's immigration permission does change so that they were not permitted to study, the scholarship may be cancelled.
Please be aware that deciding for faith reasons not to receive student finance does not grant eligibility for the Sanctuary Scholarship. For Sharia-compliant funding opportunities, please see our page on financial support for Muslim students.
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship for 2020 entry are now open and can be completed via an online application form.
Applications will close at 9am on Monday 13th July 2020. No incomplete or new applications will be accepted after this date.
Please note, applying for the Sanctuary Scholarship is not the same as applying for a place on your chosen course. The Sanctuary Scholarship application is for funding only. To apply for a place on your chosen course, search for your programme and follow the instructions on the relevant page.
If you have any questions about the scholarship or wish to submit your supplementary evidence please email firstname.lastname@example.org.