Section 1: Exemptions
The following applicants are not required to provide further English Language qualification as proof of English language proficiency.
- Native English speakers who have completed compulsory education
and been educated up to first degree level in English in the following
countries will be regarded as having fulfilled the Universitys English
- Caribbean States where English is the first language
- New Zealand
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Applicants who have been awarded from one of the above countries within the standard time frame:
- a) A full-time postgraduate degree that was at least 12 months long and awarded less than two years and four months from the proposed start date
- b) A full-time undergraduate degree where the duration was at least two academic sessions and awarded less than two years and four months from the proposed start date.
Section 2: English language qualifications
The University recognises a wide range of English Language qualifications and, where applicable, will make an offer that is based on one of the approved tests.
The minimum acceptable scores for the most commonly presented English Language qualifications are in the following list. These are acceptable if they were completed less than two years from the proposed start date. Please note that some programmes require higher scores:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 with not less than 5.5 in any component.
- Pearson (Academic) 60 with not less than 56 in any component.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT) 87 with not less than 20 in listening, 20 in reading, 22 in speaking and 21 in writing.
- Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Certificate in Advanced English grade C or above.
- Cambridge ESOL Certificate of Proficiency in English grade C or above.
- City and Guilds (Pitman) English for Speakers of Other Languages Pass at Expert or the Higher Mastery in both the ESOL and spoken ESOL examinations.
- GCE O-level in English grade C or above.
- IGCSE English grade C or above.
- IGCSE English as a second language grade C or above.
- International Baccalaureate English grade 4 or above.