You should discuss your application fully with advisers at your home university before you apply. They will help you ensure you meet our requirements and will provide advice about your module selection and credit transfer.
We have produced an application guide to assist you through the application form. We strongly suggest you have the guide open while filling in the form.
Are you eligible?
To enrol on the study abroad programme you must have completed at least one year of study and be in good academic standing at your home university, with a grade of Upper Second Class (UK system), GPA of 3.0 (US system), 5.5 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements
The study abroad programme welcomes applications from students who:
- are nominated by one of our European partner universities to study through the Erasmus+ programme
- are nominated by one of our Worldwide partner universities for a place on the exchange programme
- will pay the University of Leeds tuition fee themselves, applying either independently or through an agent
Please check with staff at your home university if you are unsure whether your university has an exchange or Erasmus+ agreement with the University of Leeds.
Semester 1 (September 2017) start: Worldwide Exchange and fee paying students must apply by 31 March 2017. If you are an Erasmus+ student, apply by 15 April 2017.
Semester 2 (January 2018) start: all students must apply by 31 October 2017.
If you want to do a pre-sessional language programme before your study abroad semester:
- for a 20 week language course, starting April 2017: apply by 31 December 2016
- for a 10 week language course, starting July 2017, or a six week language course, starting August 2017: apply by 31 March 2017
- for a 10 week language course, starting in October 2017: apply by 31 July 2017
If you are not applying as an exchange student, you may also decide to use the services of our approved overseas representatives to help you with your application. They are Butler Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA Butler), Academic Programs International (API) and BEO Japan.
The Study Abroad Office will process your application within six weeks of the date we receive your complete set of supporting documents. If there is nothing missing, and you meet our requirements, we will accept you on to the Study Abroad programme. You will receive an acceptance email, followed by an acceptance pack through the mail. This initial acceptance means that you are successfully accepted to the University, but it does not guarantee your acceptance onto the modules you have chosen.
If you are studying for a single semester and wish to apply for a Tier 4 visa, you will need to request a CAS number from the Study Abroad Office.
Please see our Preparation and arrival page for further information.