How we tested this website
The University of Leeds hosts over 2,000 websites and applications. To test our compliance with the WCAG 2.1 Conformance Level AA Guidelines, we chose a sample of these websites and applications by asking these questions:
- How many people use the website / application, and how often?
- How important the website / application is to a person’s work or study?
- Do the websites / applications cover every stage of the student journey, from applying to graduating?
- Do the websites / applications tested include those used by staff, students, and members of the public?
- When was the website / application created? Was it created after 23 September 2018?
- Is the website / application in use, and can it be accessed?
Between 5 August and 6 September 2019, we tested:
- Our main website platform, https://www.leeds.ac.uk
- A range of websites, applications, and mobile applications. Read a more detailed list of tested websites and applications at the end of this page.
Our testing process
We assessed each webpage against the WCAG 2.1 AA Standard based test model. We supplemented this with additional testing using automated tools where possible.
For large, third-party applications we have sourced their accessibility statements that document their compliance levels.
We have also assessed websites and applications with assistive technologies including JAWS (Job Access With Speech), Dragon NaturallySpeaking and ZoomText.
We selected 61 applications, and tested a subset of pages (two, three, or four) from each application.
We selected 82 websites. We tested each website’s home page and a subset of pages within each website.
We also tested seven mobile applications.
We tested them against the WCAG 2.1 AA Guidelines, and using three assistive technologies:
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech) – a screen reader
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking – voice recognition software
- ZoomText – a screen reader and magnifier
We used these tests to make an overall assessment about the University of Leeds’ websites and applications and to prioritise how we make them compliant.
We tested a range of applications from within the University’s online estate, including student and staff portals, our student information applications, online repositories, training systems, and library services. We have not provided a list here because many of these are not open to the public. If you have a specific question about an application, please email IT services: email@example.com.
We tested our main website platform, available at https://www.leeds.ac.uk, and a range of our sites as listed below.
Some of these websites have been updated, closed or merged with other sites since being tested. The following list is a record of the sample of sites that were assessed between 5 August and 6 September 2019. We have noted where there is a substantial difference between what was tested and what is live.
- Disabled Students https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/1000032/support_for_disabled_students
- Disability Services https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10710/disability_services
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/
- Faculty of Biological Sciences https://biologicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/
- Engineering https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/ - This website merged to form the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences after testing.
- School of Earth and Environment https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/see
- Leeds University Business School https://business.leeds.ac.uk/
- Courses https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/
- Student accommodation https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/
- Physical Sciences https://physicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/ - This website merged to form the Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences after testing.
- Faculty of Medicine and Health https://medicinehealth.leeds.ac.uk
- Faculty of Social Sciences https://essl.leeds.ac.uk/
- Sport http://sport.leeds.ac.uk
- Careers http://careerweb.leeds.ac.uk
- For Staff https://www.leeds.ac.uk/forstaff/
- People Development https://peopledevelopment.leeds.ac.uk/
- Human Resources http://hr.leeds.ac.uk/
- Library https://library.leeds.ac.uk/
- Alumni https://alumni.leeds.ac.uk/home
- Student Education Service https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/
- Lifelong Learning Centre https://www.llc.leeds.ac.uk/
- Applications https://application.leeds.ac.uk/
- For Students https://students.leeds.ac.uk/
- SiriusWeb http://www.siriusweb.leeds.ac.uk/
- Working with business https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/3000/working_with_business
- Wellbeing and support https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/128003/campus_life/10/wellbeing_and_support
- Applying (for international students) https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130117/exchange_and_study_abroad/118/applying
- Training and Development http://www.leaptraining.leeds.ac.uk/
- Timetabling https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/info/21630/timetabling
- The Leeds Partnership https://www.leeds.ac.uk/forstaff/homepage/342/the_partnership
- Sustainability https://sustainability.leeds.ac.uk/
- Study abroad destinations https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10310/destinations
- Student Opportunity and Enhancement https://students.leeds.ac.uk/#Opportunities
- Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence http://teachingexcellence.leeds.ac.uk/
- Secretariat https://www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/student_cases.html
- Strategy and Planning https://www.leeds.ac.uk/stratplan/
- Finance https://www.leeds.ac.uk/finance/
- The Leeds Curriculum https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/leedscurriculum
- Meet in Leeds https://meetinleeds.co.uk
- Communications https://comms.leeds.ac.uk
- Staff counselling and psychological support service http://wsh.leeds.ac.uk/info/134/staff_counselling_and_psychological_support - The content available from this link has been updated after testing so no longer represents what was assessed.
- Staff benefits https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/114000/jobs/43/staff_benefits
- Skills@Library https://library.leeds.ac.uk/info/1401/academic_skills
- Security Services (Student) https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/21504/living_in_the_uk/760/security_services
- Reporting a Crime https://www.leeds.ac.uk/estate_services/security/ReportingaCrime.htm - Page removed since test.
- Commercial & Campus Support Services (Security Services) https://commercialcampussupport.leeds.ac.uk/security/?cn-reloaded=1 - The content available from this link has been updated after testing so longer represents what was assessed.
- REF 2014 https://ref2014.leeds.ac.uk/
- Quality Assurance team https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/info/21070/quality_assurance
- Print and Copy Bureau https://pcb.leeds.ac.uk/
- Commercial and Campus Support Services https://commercialcampussupport.leeds.ac.uk/
- Postgraduate Research and Operations https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/info/22226/research_degree_admissions_and_registration/1008/pgr_and_operations-admissions - The content available from this link has been updated after testing so longer represents what was assessed.
- Masters Courses (student information) http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/101000/masters_courses
- Your personal tutor https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10109/study_support/797/your_personal_tutor
- Personal tutoring http://www.leeds.ac.uk/soe//soe-personal-tutoring.html
- New staff https://peopledevelopment.leeds.ac.uk/services/new-staff/
- Open access explained https://library.leeds.ac.uk/info/14061/open_access/8/open_access_explained
- Occupational Health http://wsh.leeds.ac.uk/OccupationalHealth
- Managers' guidance https://hr.leeds.ac.uk/managers_guidance
- Mediation (for staff) https://equality.leeds.ac.uk/support-and-resources/mediation-2/
- LOGIK Centre https://www.logik.leeds.ac.uk/
- Language Centre https://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130567/language_centre
- International Student Office https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10500/international_students/877/international_student_office
- Support for international colleagues http://hr.leeds.ac.uk/info/6/support_for_staff/314/support_for_international_colleagues
- International Foundation Year https://www.leeds.ac.uk/homepage/34/international_foundation_year
- Global community https://students.leeds.ac.uk/globalcommunity
- Facilities Directorate https://facilitiesdirectorate.leeds.ac.uk/
- Estates and Facilities https://www.leeds.ac.uk/estate_services/ - The content available from this link has been updated after testing so longer represents what was assessed.
- Equality Policy Unit https://equality.leeds.ac.uk/
- Educational Engagement - Admissions Directorate https://ses.leeds.ac.uk/info/22060/about_the_student_education_service/859/admissions_directorate
- Digital Education Service https://digitaleducation.leeds.ac.uk/
- Delivered food (Great Food at Leeds) https://gfal.leeds.ac.uk/delivered-food/
- Breakfast (Great Food at Leeds) https://gfal.leeds.ac.uk/product-category/breakfast/
- Cleaning Services https://commercialcampussupport.leeds.ac.uk/cleaning-services/ - The content available from this link has been updated after testing so longer represents what was assessed.
- Universities Chaplaincy in Leeds http://unichaplaincy.org.uk/
- Student Counselling and Wellbeing Service https://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/counselling_and_wellbeing
Updated: 14 April 2022