Core benefitsAll staff have access to a wide range of benefits, from support and advice at work to discounts on shopping and leisure. These include:
- 25 days paid holiday every year, and approximately 15.5 days off for bank holidays and days when the University is closed (depending on how many hours you work)
- generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- sickness benefits increasing with your length of employment
- participation in the staff review and development scheme
- access to a range of policies promoting work life balance and flexible working
Benefits + is a collection of optional extras that are open to all staff. The variety of benefits ranges from subsidised transport and meals out, to pensions and special offers on shopping.
- Lifestyle + gives special deals on health, fitness and shopping
- Pensions + offers a more effective way of paying into your existing pension scheme
- Childcare + saves you tax on childcare costs and gives you use of the University's own childcare centre
- Travel + helps you get to work and back, and also gives some discount on personal travel
Every employee of the University has access to a generous occupational pension.
We have four different pension schemes covering different groups of staff. Find out more about pensions, including retirement benefits and additional voluntary contributions.
All schemes provide valuable benefits on retirement, as well as life assurance and protection for your family.
We aim to be a 'best practice' employer. We understand that our employment policies need to be flexible and responsive in order to promote diversity and equality, and to attract and retain the highest quality work force.
We not only fully embrace the Employment Act, which gives government regulations on paternity, adoption and statutory maternity leave, but we go beyond the statutory requirements to help all staff balance the demands of work and personal life. Take a look at our HR policies to find out more about flexible working hours, job sharing and many other schemes to help you achieve a healthy balance.
Bright Beginnings childcare centre
The University has its own award-winning childcare centre, Bright Beginnings, which provides high quality childcare to staff members and students.
The centre caters for children aged between three months and five years and provides a Playscheme during the school holidays for children aged three to 11. Find out more on the Bright Beginnings website
Our annual festival gives you a chance to spend time with the rest of the University community, while enjoying an afternoon full of fun.
The festival is run by staff and features all types of entertainment. There is always an eclectic range of live music, a variety of food and craft stalls, and give-it-a-go sessions allowing you to try out activities such as roller skating, hula hooping, craft workshops and martial arts.
The festival is suitable for all the family and includes a variety of childrens activities. In previous years we've had face painting, jugglers, hook-a-duck, and even a ferris wheel.
Each year the University nominates a charity to receive the money raised at the festival.
Visit the staff festival website to find out more and see pictures of past events.