Updated 20 October 2020   

The withdrawal agreement between the UK and EU has been ratified and on 31 January 2020, the UK entered  a transition period which ends on 31 December 2020. 

Negotiations concerning the UK’s future relationship with the EU are ongoing despite the disruption caused by the Coronavirus (covid-19) pandemic. 

Leeds is an international university, and we continue to attract and welcome students and staff from across Europe and around the world.

EU nationals employed at the University are encouraged to read the For Staff website which has a dedicated section on Brexit.  

The UK government website provides information for EU and UK citizens on Brexit.    

EU students and postgraduate researchers applying to, or already studying at, Leeds

Immigration status

As part of the Withdrawal Agreement, if you are an EU student arriving to study in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 you will not require a visa to enter the UK to start your studies. 

However, if you have entered the UK on or before 31 December 2020 and plan to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021 then you may need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (depending on your individual circumstances). 

EU students starting taught postgraduate courses in January 2021 - we recommend you should enter the UK before 31 December 2020 and apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, which will give you the option to remain in the UK for five years if you wish.

If you plan to arrive in the UK to start your studies on or after 1 January 2021 there is expected to be a new UK immigration system in place, but full details are not yet available. The latest information is available on the UK government website.

Find more information about how to apply to the EU Settlement scheme and you can sign up for email updates about the scheme. 

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has advice for EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens currently studying in the UK and those who plan to study in the UK. 

If you have further questions, you can contact the University's International Student Advice Team.

Healthcare in the UK

Information about healthcare for EU nationals, after the UK has left the EU, is available on the UK Government website. 

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has more detailed information on how healthcare works in the UK.

Fees and finance for taught students

Non-UK EU students starting their course in the 2019/2020 or 2020/2021 academic years will continue to have home fee status and be eligible for UK government student loans for the duration of their course. This includes taught postgraduate courses starting in January 2021.

EU students who currently receive student loans and/or grants from Student Finance England (SFE), and EU nationals starting courses in England in the 2019/20 academic year can find information about this from Student Finance England and the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

The UK government has announced changes to funding from the 2021-22 academic year onwards. Non-UK EU students starting their course in the 2021/2022 academic year or later will not be eligible for Home or UK fees status or UK government loans. You will need to pay International student tuition fees.   

Current EU postgraduate researchers

EU postgraduate researchers who started in 2019 or earlier will continue to be classified as ‘home/EU’ and qualify for this level of fee and financial support for the duration of their course at Leeds.

Postgraduate researchers already studying at Leeds will also receive confirmation direct from their funders.

Potential EU postgraduate researchers

We expect financial arrangements for future non-UK EU postgraduate researchers to be confirmed by each funding organisation when financial packages are publicised.

We will continue to provide updates through these pages and the student and Doctoral College newsletters.

UK citizens planning to or already working or studying in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland

Travel documents and immigration

Valid passports can still be used. You do not need to have six months left on your passport to travel to the EU. Your passport does however need to be valid for the whole of your trip. 

If you’re planning travel from 1 January 2021 onwards, the passport service website has more information.

Healthcare in the EU

UK-issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) will remain valid in EU countries until the transition period ends on 31 December 2020. After this date, you should ensure that you have valid travel insurance.

All University of Leeds students travelling as part of their course are covered by the University of Leeds travel insurance policy. 

Find out more about insurance for study abroad students.

Erasmus+ funding for students planning to study or work in the EU in 2020/21

Erasmus+ funding will be granted to eligible students who start or are due to start their placement in the 2020/21 academic year.  

If you plan to work or are already working in the EU, terms and conditions of employment may vary depending on the country in which the work placement takes place. For more information please check UK Government country-specific guidance

More information about Erasmus+ funding is available on our For Students Erasmus webpage.

Read updates and advice from the British Council on Erasmus+.

European study exchanges and work placements from 2021/22

The Erasmus+ programme is currently being reviewed by the EU and its budget and programme content post-2021 is being decided. It is not known if the UK, or countries in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, will participate in the programme after the 2020-21 academic year. 

The University of Leeds is committed to continuing exchange agreements with our European Higher Education partner institutions after 2020/21, regardless of the decision the Government and the EU take about the UK’s future involvement with the next phase of the Erasmus+ programme. However, grants for European study abroad and work placements will be dependent upon the outcomes of future negotiations. We can’t guarantee that all our existing European partners will continue to host Leeds students and it’s expected that some partnerships will change. 

We are working to secure places for our students at partner universities, with extra consideration for degrees that have a compulsory study abroad requirement.

While the University endeavours to keep this information as up to date as possible, it cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. For the latest information from the government, please visit GOV.UK. Regularly updated Brexit FAQs for universities and students are also available on the Universities UK website