We are pleased to offer scholarships for forced migrants to the UK. The Sanctuary Scholarship is open to people who wish to study any undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition and a £10,000 a year award towards living costs, for a maximum of three years.
There are a limited number of scholarships available. Those who meet the eligibility criteria can apply and successful applicants will be chosen using a set of selection criteria. Successful applicants will not have to repay any of the money they receive through the scholarship.
Degrees you can study
You can apply for this scholarship if you have an offer or intend to study any of the following degrees full-time or part-time:
- Any undergraduate degree starting in September 2018.
- Any postgraduate degree starting in September 2018.
- Any research degree, including a PhD, starting from September 2018.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom (a person displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures).
- Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
- Provide a reference in support of your application from a trusted independent source.
You also will need to have the residency status of one of the following:
- An asylum seeker a person who has made a claim within the UK for refugee status.
- A refugee who is unable to access funding from Student Finance England.
- A person who has been granted limited leave to remain (for example leave outside the rules or discretionary/exceptional leave) in the UK on the basis of having been a trafficked person or an unaccompanied asylum seeking child who has reached majority age, or for some other asylum-related reason.
- The dependent of any of the above status groups.
Please note that this scholarship is awarded on the understanding that students will continue to have immigration status that allows them to study for the duration of their course. If the student's immigration permission does change so that they were not permitted to study, the scholarship would need to be cancelled.
Please be aware that deciding for faith reasons not to receive student finance does not grant eligibility for the Sanctuary Scholarship. For Sharia-compliant funding opportunities, please see our page on financial support for Muslim students.
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship for 2019/20 entry will become available in March 2019 and will close in July 2019. Please check this page during that period for an application form, or register your interest to be notified when applications are open.
If you have any questions about the scholarship please email email@example.com or call 0113 343 1831.