Viewing from China? Watch this video on YouKu.
Improve your academic English level with our undergraduate pre-sessional English course. Youll develop your skills to the standard needed to study on one of the below programmes:
- an undergraduate degree
- the International Foundation Year
- modules on the Exchange and Study Abroad programme
This course is also suitable if you need to complete an academic English course as part of your undergraduate degree from your home university.
During the course, you will develop your academic English language skills, get to know the campus and local area and prepare to study here or at another UK university.
What you will learn
You will learn using practical techniques which you can apply in your degree. Youll use learning resources including academic articles, talks and lectures to enhance your development.
Youll focus on improving your academic English skills in the following areas:
English language skills
- using English for everyday communication
- vocabulary development and grammar accuracy
- pronunciation and spelling
Academic reading and writing
- structuring ideas for essays and assignments
- essay writing style
- using academic language in writing
- using academic references in your work and avoiding plagiarism
- reading academic resources
- using these skills to enhance your speaking and writing
Academic listening and speaking
- getting the most out of lectures and seminars
- practise listening to talks, lectures and other authentic materials in English
- participating in seminars and discussions
- practising your speaking skills with presentations
Academic skills projects
- Youll work on assignments which give you the opportunity to practise all the academic and communication skills you learn
- For example, you might be asked to conduct surveys or specific internet research which are assessed through presentations, class discussions or writing activities
Language in context
Learn English through a topic related to your interests and work with students studying other courses at the Language Centre. Examples of previous topics include drama, music, business, engineering, history and literature. This module runs in terms 1, 2 and 3.
If you need to take the IELTS exam, this course will help you prepare. This module runs in terms 2 and 3. Please note, we are not an IELTS test centre. Find details of test centres on the IELTS website.
Language learning activities
Each week we run informal group sessions like Conversation Club and Book Chat. Come along to these sessions to practise your English language skills with other students from across the University.
AccreditationOur undergraduate pre-sessional English course is accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English in the UK and is taught by our team of English for Academic Purposes tutors.
Find out how to apply