Coronavirus - information for applicants and offer holders

Last updated 14 January 2022.

We understand that applicants and offer holders may have concerns about the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and your plans to study with us at Leeds. 

It’s important to us that you have every opportunity to engage with student life at Leeds, so we’re working hard to make sure you receive the high-quality academic experience you would expect.

We will continue to make updates on this page.

This page is for both UK and international applicants and offer holders. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Safety and wellbeing

What safety measures are in place on campus?

We are continuing to work hard to ensure that the campus is a safe and welcoming environment. Your personal safety is our top priority, and we are putting appropriate safety and hygiene measures in place. We have detailed information about safety on campus on our coronavirus website

If I am an international student, will I be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine in the UK? 

International students who live in the UK and are registered with a GP (general practitioner) will be able to access the COVID-19 vaccination in the UK, just as they are currently able to access healthcare.

Read our COVID-19 vaccination information page.

Teaching and learning

How will teaching on my course be delivered? 

Our intention is that face-to-face teaching will be the norm and we expect you to attend campus for teaching activities such as seminars, tutorials, practical classes, group discussions and performance activities, as they will form an essential and significant part of your student experience. 

Many large lectures and equivalent events will be online using the latest digital learning technology, as part of our blended approach to learning and teaching. 

Your health, safety and wellbeing is our top priority and we will continue to review our plans and implement any changes, in line with government guidance, as quickly as possible.

Will I be able to study online if I can’t come to Leeds for the start of my course due to COVID-19 travel restrictions?

We are aware that COVID-19 can cause travel disruption and some students may not able to join us in Leeds for the start of the 2022/23 academic year. Be assured that we will provide access to all the teaching resources and support services you need in most cases until you are able to join us in person. This approach will be reviewed regularly depending on government travel restrictions.

Open days and campus tours

Are you still holding open days?

We are currently planning our 2022 open days. In the meantime, you can register your interest or take a virtual campus tour.

Are you running campus tours?

We are pleased that we can once again offer student-led tours of our beautiful campus and we’re currently planning our campus tours for Spring 2022.

Our student-led campus tours give you a great feel for the University campus and the opportunity to chat to your student ambassador guides about their Leeds experience. Tours take place outside and last approximately one hour. Find out more and register your interest.

If you’re visiting the University from outside the UK or you’re an international student currently based in the UK and you require a bespoke campus tour led by an international student, please fill out our international campus tour request form and a member of staff from the International Office will get back to you.

My application

What are the application deadlines to study at the University of Leeds?

My university cannot provide me with an official certificate or transcript to meet the academic conditions of my offer due to COVID-19, what should I do?

We will be as flexible as possible and documentation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We recommend you submit the most recent transcript and/or confirmation of award you have been provided by your current institution for the admissions team to review. They will contact you if any further information or documentation is required.

I am not able to take an English language test due to COVID-19 restrictions in my country. What should I do?

We have expanded the number of English language tests we accept in light of the challenges faced by our applicants as a result of COVID-19. Please see our entry requirements for the list of accepted qualifications.


For questions relating to accommodation, including applying, moving in, and what to expect with social distancing, please visit the Accommodation FAQs.

Fees, funding and paying deposits

I have received an unconditional taught postgraduate offer from the University and a request to pay a deposit to receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). Do I have to pay it now?  

Your tuition fee deposit confirms your commitment to the University of Leeds and we will not be able to issue a CAS for your visa application until we have received your payment (or evidence that you are fully funded by a University-recognised sponsor). However, we understand that you may wish to wait before making your final decision about your study plans, so please be assured that there is currently no deadline to pay, unless you will be studying a Leeds University Business School course or taking a summer pre-sessional English course at our Language Centre. For more information, please see the tuition fee deposits guidance page and either the Business School website or the Language Centre website.

Will you refund my deposit if I cannot come to Leeds to study due to coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Yes, we will refund your deposit if you are unable to take up your place at Leeds for reasons relating to COVID-19.

Immigration and visas

If I started my studies remotely, will I be eligible to apply for the Graduate Immigration Route/Post Study Work visa?

The UK government has confirmed that students who started a one-year Masters course in September 2021 will remain eligible for the Graduate route visa, provided that they enter the UK before 6 April 2022. Please note that your academic school may require you to arrive in Leeds before this date, depending on the course.

Students who started in January 2021 will remain eligible for the Graduate route visa, even if they studied remotely, provided that they entered the UK before 27 September 2021.

When will I receive my Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)? 

You will be contacted by email once your CAS is ready, or if any further information is needed, so you do not need to take any action to request a CAS.

In order to be eligible for a CAS, you must have accepted an unconditional (firm) offer, supplied all necessary information, such as valid passport details and, for taught postgraduate students only, either paid a £1,500 tuition fee deposit or provided evidence that you are fully funded by a University-recognised sponsor. You do not need to send proof that you have paid your deposit to be issued a CAS. The earliest that your CAS can be issued is six months before the start of your course.

How does studying my course online affect my student visa?

Please see our guidance on remote study and your student visa

Welcome and arrival

What facilities will be open on campus when I arrive? 

It is important that you have every opportunity to engage with the whole student experience at Leeds. Our campus facilities such as libraries, sports facilities, the students’ union, cafés and other social spaces will be open with all the appropriate COVID-19 safety measures in place to help keep you safe. 

Your health, safety and wellbeing is our top priority and we will continue to review our plans and implement any changes, in line with government guidance, as quickly as possible.

Will I need to register on campus? 

If you are an international student who has to start your course remotely because your arrival in Leeds is delayed due to COVID-19, you will also need to register in person when you arrive on campus. Please see our Registration information.

I am an international student. Where can I find more information about arriving on campus? 

We will continue to adjust our welcome, arrival and international orientation plans for the year due to COVID-19. Please visit our Arrival page for more information.

You can also talk to some of our current international students about life in Leeds on the Link to Leeds site

My country is currently on the UK government red list. What does this mean for me?

The red list is not currently in operation. Should this change in the future, we will update our policy here.  

If you are a student who has previously been studying remotely, please visit our arrangements for 2021/22 page for updates and stay in touch with your tutor.

Do I need to have a COVID-19 vaccine before I arrive?

The University does not currently require students to have been vaccinated against COVID-19. You can find information about required health documents in our preparation guidance. Please also continue to check travel guidance in your country and UK government requirements.

I am not sure if I can arrive in time for the start of term. Is it possible for me to arrive later?

Wherever possible, you should arrive at the University to start your course on time. If you arrive late and miss the welcome events, you may find it harder to settle into campus life.

However, we understand that due to COVID-19, some students will face significant travel-related problems, which may delay their arrival. In most cases, we can be flexible, although it will depend on your course.

If your arrival will be delayed, you will need to: 

  • complete the online registration for your course and pay your fees
  • get official permission from us to start your studies online via the student late arrival request form. Please note that you will need to have activated your University of Leeds IT account in order to complete this form. To set yours up, visit the my password page. More information is available on the international arrival page. Please also check our page on remote study and your student visa.
  • inform the Accommodation Office by emailing if you are staying in University accommodation, or contact your accommodation provider if you are staying in private accommodation. Please note, it is your responsibility to contact them, not your School’s.