Madeleine Newman, Programme Manager, Arts and Humanities Foundation Year
Phone: 0113 343 6766
My role is Programme Manager for Arts and Humanities at the Lifelong Learning Centre (LLC). I lead the Arts and Humanities Foundation Year and manage relevant Level 1 Arts and Humanities discovery modules in the LLC. I support students across their Foundation Year studies and contribute to module teaching. I manage the Arts and Humanities programme team and programme delivery across all aspects of the course. My research interests include History of Art and interdisciplinary studies.
I joined the LLC in 2013 and lead the Arts and Humanities Foundation Year. I support students as they complete their Foundation Year studies and progress to undertake a degree programme in the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures. I work with the course team to deliver the programme and teach on a number of core modules on the Foundation Year. I also manage the following Level 1 discovery modules within the LLC: LLLC1304 Islam in Western Societies and LLLC1321 Women, Culture and Islam.
My professional experience in teaching and learning from 2004 onwards includes a range of contexts and settings: museum and gallery learning, further education and higher education. I have a Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Lifelong Learning (University of Huddersfield, 2014) and hold Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status. I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My academic background is in the History of Art. I was awarded a PhD from the University of Leeds in 2011. My doctoral thesis ‘The sculptural garment? body, performance and architecturality in the 1970s’ explored interdisciplinary art practices of contemporary women sculptors. My project developed research interests from my MA in Sculpture Studies (University of Leeds, 2005) and BA in History of Modern Art (University of Manchester, 2004).
- Programme Leader Arts and Humanities Foundation Year
- Module Leader: LLLC0122 Modernity and Post-Modernity
- Module Tutor: LLLC0121 Image, Music and Text
- Module Leader: LLLC0143 Communications
- Module Manager: LLLC1304 Islam in Western societies
- Module Manager: LLLC1321 Women, Culture and Islam
- Academic Personal Tutoring Lead, Lifelong Learning Centre
- Interdisciplinary pedagogies
- Foundation year learning and teaching
- Level 0 arts and humanities
- Widening participation
- Sculpture studies
- Interdisciplinary art practice
- Critical and contextual studies
- Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
- Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Lifelong Learning)
- PhD History of Art
- MA Sculpture Studies
- BA History of Modern Art
- Member of Society for Education and Training
- Member of Foundation Year Network