Rosa Mas Giralt,
Deputy Programme Manager (BA Professional Studies)
Email Rosa Mas Giralt: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0113 343 1113
Areas of expertise
Emotional geographies of migration, transnational families, children and young people of migrant descent, interdisciplinary research and teaching, widening participation, and mature students.
In my role as Deputy Programme Manager for the BA Professional Studies, I contribute to the promotion, development and delivery of the programme. I am also a Visiting Research Associate at the School of Geography at the University of Leeds.
I was awarded a BA (Hons) in Information Science at the University of Barcelona before completing two Masters qualifications in Communication Studies (2002) and Gender Studies – Research (2005), and a PhD in Human Geography (2011) at the University of Leeds. I then spent four years as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Work, Care and Global Transitions at the School of Sociology and Social Policy (University of Leeds) and as a Research Fellow: Children and Family Wellbeing (Asylum and Migration) at the School of Human and Health Sciences (University of Huddersfield). I joined the Lifelong Learning Centre in 2016 and became a Visiting Research Associate at the School of Geography in 2017.
I am a founding member of the Leeds Migration Research Network.
Research interests and projects
My research interests focus on transnational families and care, social and migration policies, onward mobilities and the experiences of young migrants and later-generation children and young people. I specialise on the emotional geographies of migration paying attention to processes of identity and belonging and to critical episodes in the life course of migrants, such as transnational bereavement and grief. I am also interested in the experiences of (migrant) mature students in Higher Education, widening participation, and critical pedagogies of research and interdisciplinary teaching.
Current and recent research projects
• 2021-2024 Transnational Families in Europe: Care, inequalities and wellbeing (PI Prof Ruth Evans, University of Reading). Co-I (Interim PI March 2022-March 2023)
• 2016-2022 Lifelong Learning Centre students’ destinations and graduate outcomes (mature and widening participation students). Project designer and advisor
• 2020-2021 COVID-19 and migration systems in transition: how is the coronavirus crisis impacting upon the regulation of migration and what are the effects on employers and workers? (PI Prof Chris Forde, University of Leeds). Co-I.
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society with IBG
- Member of IMISCOE (International Migration, Integration and Social Cohesion in Europe)
- Member of the Leeds Migration Research Network
I am responsible for the research strand of the BA Professional Studies, and I lead, teach and supervise for the modules LLLC1443 Introduction to Research and Ethics, LLLC2300 Planning and Developing a Research Project and LLLC3964 Dissertation/Project. I am also the leader for LLLC2263 Global Perspectives, an interdisciplinary module about global issues including international migration. I am a member of the Lifelong Learning Centre Ethics Committee. I advise postgraduate and doctoral students externally and on an ad-hoc basis.
Read a list of my publications
Follow Rosa Mas Giralt on Twitter