Government part-time maintenance loans

You may be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan to help with your day to day living costs. The loan is available for a number of specific part-time courses at Leeds.

Please refer to the government website for up to date information on part-time maintenance loans for September 2022 entry.


Eligibility for a part-time maintenance loan will depend on:

  • where you live
  • where you study
  • your course
  • your course intensity
  • previous study
  • your age
  • your nationality or residency status
  • your household income

To qualify for a part-time maintenance loan you must meet all of the eligibility criteria.

Eligible courses

The following part-time courses meet the course eligibility criteria at Leeds:

Please note, if you commenced study on one of the above courses before the 1 August 2018 you are not eligible to apply for a part-time maintenance loan.

Non-eligible courses

You cannot get a part-time maintenance loan if you are starting one of the following part-time courses at Leeds, as they do not meet the course eligibility criteria:

  • Foundation Degree Child and Family Studies
  • Foundation Degree Learning and Teaching
  • Foundation Degree Learning and Teaching (Special Educational Needs and Disability)
  • Certification of Higher Education (CertHE) Arabic, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) Business Management

How much will I receive?

How much you receive will depend on your assessed household income, how many credits you are undertaking within the academic year (this determines your course intensity) and where you are living while you study.

The amount you will receive will be confirmed to you by Student Finance England. You can find full and up to date information on the Student Finance website.

Other funding available

Find out more about the funding available for part-time students:

Registering with the University

After you apply for a part-time maintenance loan, and it has been approved, the Student Loans Company will send the University your details. If you're an eligible student you should be able to register without paying any tuition fees up front.

How to receive your funding

You will need to have registered, had your identity checked and meet all of the eligibility criteria in order to receive your part-time maintenance loan payments. After the University confirms your registration with the Student Loan Company the loan will be paid directly to you in three instalments, usually at the start of each term.


You will need to repay any loan you have borrowed, but not until the April after you finish or leave your course, or the April four years after the start of your course – whichever comes first – and, only then, if your income is over the repayment threshold.

Applying for funding

If you are having difficulty applying for your funding, please email