We offer scholarships for forced migrants to the UK. The Sanctuary Scholarship is open to people who wish to study any undergraduate or postgraduate taught degree.
The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition fees and £10,000 a year towards study costs. If you receive the Sanctuary Scholarship, you won’t need to pay the money back.
There are a limited number of scholarships available and you must apply. If your application is successful, we will invite you to an interview. Not everybody who applies is invited for an interview.
Applications are open until 8 May 2023. You can apply online, using the form linked further down the page.
Please note, the following information may change at any time until applications for the scholarship open on 6 March 2023
Degrees you can study
- You can apply for this scholarship if you have an offer or if you have applied for any of the following degrees, full-time or part-time:
- Any undergraduate degree (including foundation degrees) starting in September 2023
- Any postgraduate taught degree (such as a Masters degree) starting in September 2023 or January 2024.
Unfortunately, you cannot apply for Sanctuary Scholarship funding for postgraduate research and PhD study.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom. This means you are a person displaced from your homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures. You must have one of the residency statuses listed in the next section.
- Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant.
- Have already applied to study at the University in the 2023/24 academic year.
- Not have a degree from a UK university of the same level or higher than the course you want to study at Leeds in 2023/24.
- Be eligible for paying tuition fees at the UK rate. If you receive an offer to study that states you must pay tuition fees at the International rate, make sure you use the fee assessment process to confirm if this is correct.
Eligible residency statuses
Your residency status must be one of the following:
- Asylum Seeker – currently seeking asylum within the UK or Refused Asylum Seeker where your application for refugee status has been denied and a fresh claim is in process.
- Refugee status or the spouse or child of someone with refugee status.
- Limited or Discretionary leave to remain.
- Humanitarian Protection status or the spouse or child of someone with Humanitarian Protection status.
- Indefinite leave to remain.
- Section 67 Leave or the dependent child of someone with Section 67 Leave.
- Calais Leave.
- Stateless Person Leave or the spouse or child of someone with Stateless Leave.
- Indefinite Leave as a result of bereavement or as a victim of domestic violence/abuse.
- Granted leave in the UK under the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP) or the Afghan Citizens Resettlement Scheme (ACRS).
- Granted leave in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme, the Homes for Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme or the Ukraine Extension Scheme.
We can only award the scholarship if your immigration status allows you to study for the duration of your course. If your immigration permission changes so that you are not allowed to study, we may have to cancel the scholarship.
Please be aware that if you have decided not to receive student finance for faith reasons, this does not make you eligible for the Sanctuary Scholarship. For Sharia-compliant funding opportunities, please see our page on financial support for Muslim students.
Offers to study
To apply for the Sanctuary Scholarship, you must have already applied for your course but you do not need to have an offer of a place yet. If your application to study is rejected at any time, then your application for or offer of a Sanctuary Scholarship will be withdrawn.
How to apply
Applications are open until 8 May 2023.
Please note, applying for the Sanctuary Scholarship is not the same as applying for a place on your chosen course. The Sanctuary Scholarship application is for funding only.
To apply for a place on your chosen course, search for your programme and follow the instructions on the relevant page.
If you have any questions about the scholarship or wish to submit your supplementary evidence please email the Sanctuary Scholarships Team team at firstname.lastname@example.org.