Access to Leeds is the University of Leeds’ contextual admissions scheme which guarantees special consideration for applicants whose personal circumstances may have affected their ability to demonstrate their talent and potential through grades alone.
It could offer you the chance to study an undergraduate degree with lower entry requirements than listed on our course pages.
Around 900 eligible Access to Leeds students register on an undergraduate course at the University of Leeds every year. Read our Access to Leeds student profiles.
There are two possible routes into Access to Leeds:
- You can apply for Access to Leeds directly if you meet our Access to Leeds eligibility criteria.
- You could be confirmed as eligible when your Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) application is processed. If this happens, you will receive an email to tell you.
Once we have confirmed you are eligible you will also need to complete a short-study skills module and assignment to get you ready for university. This has many benefits in helping to prepare you for university life, including learning about academic skills and study techniques, and introducing you to the University campus and facilities.
Why we recommend you apply directly
We recommend that you apply directly because it allows you to provide more information which could support your application and we cannot guarantee that all eligible students will be picked up at the UCAS application stage.
If you are accepted onto the programme, it offers you the following benefits.
An alternative offer for your course
When you apply, your UCAS application will receive additional consideration. If successful, you will receive a standard offer and you'll be offered lower entry requirements for your chosen course. This could be up to two grades lower than our standard offer. For example if the standard entry requirement for your course is AAA at A-level, the Access to Leeds offer could be ABB.
There are also lower entry requirements for qualifications equivalent to A-levels such as BTEC Nationals and the International Baccalaureate.
Only applicants who make the University of Leeds their firm choice will remain eligible for an Access to Leeds offer.
Support to prepare for university
We will offer you support to prepare for studying at university, including:
- Academic skills development via participation in the online Access to Leeds module.
- Access to university systems including our online library and Virtual Learning Environment.
- Events and activities to support your transition to university life, including the opportunity to meet current students.
Special consideration for financial support
If you are an Access to Leeds student this will be taken into account if you apply for one of our scholarships.