Make your gift to Leeds go further

Find out how to make your gift to Leeds go further through tax-efficient giving.

Learn about the benefits of Gift Aid or how to make a tax deductible donation from outside the UK.

Donate now

Make a single or regular donation via our Giving platform.

If you'd like to speak to us about your donation, please email the Give to Leeds team at

How to make your gift go further

Charitable status and tax-efficient giving

The University is an ‘exempt charity’ under Schedule 3 of the Charities Act 2011, which means your gift to Leeds could be enhanced through tax-efficient giving.

The University doesn’t have a registered number issued by the Charities Commission but is in law a charity by Royal Charter, granted in 1904. Our reference number with the charity division of HM Revenue and Customs is X6861.

UK taxpayers can make their donations to Leeds go further with Gift Aid which can increase the value of your gift by 25% at no extra cost to you.

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities like Leeds to claim back the basic rate tax that donors have already paid on the money they donate.

By claiming Gift Aid, for every pound that you donate, we receive an extra 25p from HM Revenue and Customs. It’s a great way to make your gift go further – and only takes a minute to set up.

Are you a higher rate taxpayer?

If you pay tax above the basic rate, you can claim the difference between the rate you pay and basic rate on your donation. 

Giving stocks and shares

When you give shares, you qualify for tax relief on both income and capital gains tax. Share gifts qualify for tax relief equal to the market value of the shares on the day the gift is made, including associated costs such as broker fees.

The Government website has further information on UK tax law in relation to charitable donations and tax relief on charity donations.

Giving from outside the UK

The US

If you’re in the US, you can give a gift to the North American Foundation for the University of Leeds (NAFUL), which is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organisation.

If you're a US tax payer, you can make tax deductible donations to the full extent allowable by law.

The Foundation seeks to secure the support of both individuals and private foundations in the pursuit of furthering education.

The Foundation is operated exclusively for charitable and educational purposes and is an independent organization that was incorporated in 1989. It is actively involved in building links with alumni as well as supporting and promoting the University of Leeds in the United States.

Making a gift to NAFUL

You can donate online via our giving platform. Alternatively, you can write a check, making it payable to 'North American Foundation for the University of Leeds', and post it to:

North American Foundation for the University of Leeds
1350 Avenue of the Americas
Floor 2
Suite 266
New York, NY 10019

To make a wire transfer to NAFUL, please contact us and we’ll provide you with the details of the Foundation's bank account. 

Got a question about giving from the US? Email NAFUL at


The University of Leeds is listed as a prescribed University under section VIII of the Canadian income tax regulations. If you're Canadian, this means you can claim a non-refundable tax credit when you make a gift to Leeds.


The University is recognised as a charitable body by many European states. Gifts from donors living in these states can be made through Transnational Giving Europe, a partnership of Foundations and Associations which facilitates tax-efficient cross-border giving.

Related links