Your guide to applying

We welcome and encourage applications from talented students from all backgrounds. This page guides you through the application process.

Step 1: choose your course

Choosing the right course is one of the most important decisions you’ll make, so think carefully about what you want from your studies. You'll need to think about:

  • which subjects you enjoy and are interested in
  • how long you want to study for
  • what type of study options you are looking for
  • what grades you might obtain
  • your future career options.

As well as single honours, we offer an exciting range of courses that offer alternative routes and flexible study options, including:

  • joint honours (two main subjects) 
  • part-time courses
  • extended degrees with a foundation year that offer an alternative route if you don’t have the formal qualifications for immediate entry onto an undergraduate degree
  • integrated Masters, where you undertake a fourth year and convert your undergraduate degree to a postgraduate one.

You could also get a taster of studying with Leeds through our free online courses. They're offered in a range of subjects and could help you decide which course is right for you and provide some subject experience to help boost your application. 

Step 2: check the entry requirements

UK applicants

International students

Visit the International entry requirements page for information about the qualifications we accept and our English language requirements.

Mature students

If you’re aged 21 or over when you begin your studies, you’re classed as a mature student. We welcome applications from mature students from all backgrounds onto both full-time and part-time programmes.

Your life and work experience mean there are alternative entry routes available other than formal qualifications, including a foundation course, a validated access course and the Access to Higher Education Diploma.

For specific entry criteria, please search for your course.

You can also find out about study options and support for mature students.

Declaring a criminal conviction

If you have an unspent criminal conviction, you may need to declare it to us. This is usually required when we make you an offer that you wish to accept. For a small number of our courses, you'll need to declare it when you apply. Having a criminal conviction will only rarely stop you from studying at Leeds. Find out more about declaring a criminal conviction.

Step 3: apply

Full-time courses

You should apply online through UCAS for full-time courses. International students should apply through the UCAS system in the same way as UK students. Find out about our overseas teams and support you can get with applying in your country.

Get advice about writing your personal statement

UCAS provides comprehensive information on the entire application process, from choosing your university and course right through to starting university and settling into student life.

Video transcript: Applying through UCAS — University of Leeds

Part-time courses

If you’re applying for a part-time degree, you should apply directly to the University by emailing our Lifelong Learning Centre:

Application dates and deadlines

Taking a year out

For many courses, we’re happy to receive applications for deferred entry, which can be submitted during your last year at school. We’d encourage you to use your personal statement to explain your reasons for taking a gap year. Please note that you’ll still need to meet any conditions of your offer in the academic year in which you apply.

However, for some particularly competitive courses we’re not able to consider applications for deferred entry. This is because we receive a high number of applications to these programmes and we need to assess all applications for a given year of entry at the same time to ensure fairness. Check Course Search to find out whether we accept deferred entry for your chosen course.

Transferring from another university

Many of our academic schools will consider requests to transfer onto a course from another university. You usually need to show that you've met the course's standard first-year entry requirements and that you're performing well in your current degree, which must be relevant to the new course. For further information, get in touch with the relevant admissions team using the contact details on the course page.

Extenuating circumstances

We advise that your school includes information about your mitigating circumstances in the reference that they write as part of your UCAS application and, where possible, expect that this should have been taken into consideration by the exam board so that any adjustments could be made during assessment and marking. If you’d like to discuss your situation, please contact the admissions team for your course, using the contact details on the course page

Next steps

Look at our Admissions Policy 2025-26 if you'd like more detailed information about the admissions process.

Once you've submitted your application, visit our After you’ve applied page to find out what happens next.