Find out how to apply to the University of Leeds as an exchange or study abroad student.
To enrol on the study abroad programme, you must have completed at least one year of study by the time you arrive in Leeds and be in good academic standing at your home university, with a grade of Upper Second Class (UK system), GPA of 3.0 (US system), 5.5 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements.
We welcome study abroad applications from students who:
- are nominated by one of our European or worldwide partner universities for a place on the exchange programme
- will pay the University of Leeds tuition fee themselves, applying either independently or through an agent
Please check with staff at your home university if you are unsure whether your university has an exchange agreement with the University of Leeds.
The University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy outlines the admissions principles of the University of Leeds. Any variations to this policy, for the Incoming Study Abroad programme, are clarified on our Exchange and Study abroad web pages.
Before you apply
Before you apply to the University of Leeds, you should:
- Check you meet our English language requirements
- Check you have the supporting documents you need
- Check which modules you can study at Leeds for the duration of your programme
- Check if your teaching school has any subject-specific academic requirements or guidance for incoming study abroad or exchange students
- If you are in your final year of study at your home university, check when your home university will need your final transcript from Leeds. Please read our exams and transcripts page before submitting an application.
Please discuss your application with advisers at your home university before you apply. They will help you ensure you meet our requirements and will provide advice about your module selection and credit transfer.
How to apply
Our application guide takes you through our application process. We strongly suggest you have the guide open while filling in the form.
Semester 1 (September) start
Apply by 15 April.
Semester 2 (January) start
Apply by 31 October.
If you want to do a pre-sessional language programme before your study abroad semester
- One semester, starting in September: apply by 10 August
- Two semesters, or two semesters plus the summer, starting in September: apply by 10 August
- One semester, starting in January: apply by 15 November
- One semester, or one semester plus the summer, starting in January: apply by 15 November
- The summer, starting in July or August: apply by 15 April
After you apply for the study abroad programme
The Study Abroad Office aim to process applications within six weeks of receiving completed applications, including all required supporting documents.
If there is nothing missing, and you meet our requirements, we will accept you on to the Study Abroad programme and you will receive an acceptance email.
Your acceptance email will provide guidance on the following:
- How to submit module choices to the academic teaching schools for approval
- How to apply for housing in University accommodation
- When you can expect a series of pre-arrival emails
- How to apply for disability support during your time at Leeds
- How and when you should apply for a Student visa (if this is required)
Please see our preparation and arrival page for further information.