We are fully aware of the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic could have on your plans to study at Leeds as an exchange or visiting Study Abroad student.
- We want to reassure you that the University is taking all the necessary steps to ensure that we can be as flexible as possible with our application deadlines and the submission of your supporting documents.
- If you have any other questions about your plans to study at Leeds please read our Coronavirus – information for applicants and offer holders page.
Before you apply
You should discuss your application fully with advisers at your home university before you apply. They will help you ensure you meet our requirements and will provide advice about your module selection and credit transfer.
If you are a final year student or you are planning to graduate soon after studying abroad at Leeds, it is vital that you consider the date you will receive your transcript from Leeds. Please read our Exams and transcripts page before submitting an application.
Are you eligible?
To enrol on the study abroad programme you must have completed at least one year of study and be in good academic standing at your home university, with a grade of Upper Second Class (UK system), GPA of 3.0 (US system), 5.5 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements.
The study abroad programme welcomes applications from students who:
- are nominated by one of our European or worldwide partner universities for a place on the exchange programme
- will pay the University of Leeds tuition fee themselves, applying either independently or through an agent
Please check with staff at your home university if you are unsure whether your university has an exchange or Erasmus+ agreement with the University of Leeds.
The University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy outlines the admissions principles of the University of Leeds and the Admissions Policy for Incoming Study Abroad programmes and Leeds International Summer School outlines the variations or additional information for these programmes.
Semester 1 (September) start: For 2021/22 we will be as flexible as possible with our deadlines and will continue accepting applications until 30 April 2021.
Semester 2 (January) start: all students must apply by 31 October.
If you want to do a pre-sessional language programme before your study abroad semester:
- One semester, starting in September: apply by 10 August
- Two semesters, or two semesters plus the summer, starting in September: apply by 10 August
- One semester, starting in January: apply by 15 November
- One semester, or one semester plus the summer, starting in January: apply by 15 November
- The summer, starting in July or August: apply by 31 March
If you are not applying as an exchange student, you may also decide to use the services of our approved overseas representatives to help you with your application. They are Butler Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA Butler), Academic Programs International (API) and BEO Japan.
How to apply
The Study Abroad Office will process your application within six weeks of the date we receive your complete application form and all necessary supporting documents. If there is nothing missing, and you meet our requirements, we will accept you on to the Study Abroad programme and you will receive an acceptance email. This initial acceptance means that you are successfully accepted to the University, but it does not guarantee your acceptance onto the modules you have chosen.
If you are studying for a single semester and wish to apply for a Student visa, you will need to request a CAS number from the Study Abroad Office.
Please see our Preparation and arrival page for further information.