Students with a disability

If you experience a disability you may be entitled to a grant to cover additional study costs. The Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA) is a grant to help some disabled students cover any additional costs that arise as a direct result of a disability.

Other sources of financial help in addition to the standard student finance loans include:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Universal Credit

You can get more details on what might be available to you from the government or by visiting the NUS website

You can also visit our website for current students for information on the University's guidance and support for disabled students. 

Reimbursement of costs

You may be eligible for reimbursement of up to £280 towards the cost of a diagnostic test: for example, a dyslexia assessment. Eligibility for this reimbursement is means-tested. We can reimburse the cost of a test taken before your course started, but you can only apply once you have commenced your course of study. The test must have been for the purpose of your University course.

If your test was after your A-level exams, we may be able to reimburse you. If it was before your exams, we would not be able to, as it would have been taken for the purpose of your A-levels.

You may also be eligible for reimbursement of the first £200 of DSA costs for computer equipment, eligibility for this reimbursement is however means-tested. Contact Disabled Students' Assessment and Support for further information

Students with dependent children

If you have children you could be eligible for an additional government grant and/or allowance, such as the Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance

There is plenty of financial support available, but it's not always easy to work out what you're entitled to, especially if you're already getting benefits. If you want some help you can get individual advice from the Student Advice Centre in Leeds University Union. They'll be happy to help.

Our Lifelong Learning Centre has information about practical help we offer, including childcare, accommodation for families, and campus facilities for students with young children.

Students with adult dependants

If you're a full-time student with an adult financially dependent on you, you may be able to apply for the Adult Dependants' Grant

Students in financial hardship

If you're in financial difficulty you may be able to claim for help from the Access to Learning fund. This comes from the government, but is administered by each individual university. Students are assessed on their individual needs and any help you get from the fund is usually non-repayable.

You can apply at any time from the date you register up to the last day of your course. You can find more information about the Access to Learning fund on our website for current students