Information for new UK undergraduate students starting a course in September 2021.
Help with tuition fees
If you are an eligible UK student (whether full-time or part-time) you'll be able to get a loan from the government to cover the full amount of your tuition fees. If you take this loan your fees will be paid directly to the University each year by the Student Loans Company.
You can apply for a tuition fee loan regardless of what your household income is.
The tuition fee loan from the government is repayable. However, you won't have to start paying it back until after you graduate, and only then once you're earning over the repayment threshold. (If you are starting your course in September 2020 the threshold will be £25,716). Find out more about repaying student loans.
Remember to apply for student finance in plenty of time if youre starting a full-time course at University in autumn 2021. Check your student finance eligibility.
Help with living costs
If you are an eligible UK student you'll be able to get a maintenance loan from the government to help with living costs.For 2020/21 the exact amount of maintenance loan for living costs was based on:
- Your household income (although some of the loan is not means-tested).
- Whether you're living at home or away from home.
- Whether your permanent home is in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
It will be paid to you in instalments at the start of each term once you have registered on your course.
Information for new UK undergraduate students starting a course in September 2021 will be available on the government's student finance webpage in due course.
If your circumstances change
The funding you get could be affected by a change in your circumstances, for example if you transfer or come back to university after withdrawing. Find out more about what to do if your circumstances change.
- Leeds University Union's Student Advice Centre.
- MoneySavingExpert.com webpages on student finance (for students starting their degree after September 2012).
- Government's student finance calculator.
- Learn more about student funding on the government website.