We’re continually investing in the best facilities to support you in your studies, from new laboratories and lecture theatres to our impressive libraries.
The University library is one of the major academic research libraries in the UK. We are continually adding to its rich and extensive print and online resources, including some of the UK’s most outstanding collections of rare books and manuscripts.
Our library offers a variety of study environments. The Brotherton, the Edward Boyle, the Laidlaw and the Health Sciences libraries each house a different subject-based collection. Almost 4,000 study spaces are available, from silent individual study to vibrant group work areas. All our libraries have extensive computer facilities and are wireless enabled.
Search our online resources including 35,000 e-journals and more than 500,000 e-books. The library digitises key reading for modules through the virtual learning environment.
Postgraduate research hub
The postgraduate-only research hub in the Edward Boyle Library offers:
- space for individual and group work
- bookable individual and group study rooms, with large LED screens
- extra large study desks with wi-fi, individual lighting and power sockets – especially useful at writing-up stages of your research.
Our expert library staff are here to help you too. They can advise you on searching for information, data management and more. Their workshops, webinars and one-to-one appointments can help you improve your academic skills, such as critical thinking, dissertation writing, digital skills and time management. Find out more about our libraries.
Computers and IT
As a postgraduate at Leeds, you’ll have access to:
- a wide range of standard and specialist software and services, providing access to all the research and industry-focused facilities you’ll need
- free high-speed wi-fi across campus
- personalised content (like your timetable and library record) on your phone through the UniLeeds app
- IT help and support through our webpages and from our service desk by phone, email or in person
- teaching spaces with computer-supported classrooms
- flexible learning environments for personal and group study.
We have invested over £2m in a state-of-the-art lecture capture and multimedia management system.
You’ll be able to access video and audio recordings of many of your lectures through the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Through the VLE, you’ll also be able to view announcements, get module information, take part in discussion boards and check your grades.
Boost your employment prospects, learn another language or develop your academic English through our Language Centre. It offers independent learning resources, English language courses, and English language and academic study skills support for international students through in-sessional classes and pre-sessional English language programmes.
At our Language Zone you'll find learning materials in more than 50 languages and expert support on hand. If you want to practise your conversation skills, we have activities to connect you with native speakers and other students learning languages.
Student profile: Ben Li
When I’m doing my research and reading I come into the library, then I’m not distracted. I find the environment pleasant to work in especially on the upper levels.