Masters funding and scholarships

Masters scholarships and funding

There are many ways you can fund your studies.

Funding at postgraduate level is different to undergraduate, and many students choose to seek funding from a variety of sources. It’s a good idea to plan financially before starting your course.

Top tips for funding your Masters

Read our article to discover how you can create your own personalised funding package and make your Masters a reality.


University scholarships and funding

We offer a range of scholarships and bursaries that you don't need to pay back and are awarded based on personal circumstances or academic achievement.

Additional funding and support

Funding for UK, EU and international Masters students is also available from a number of other organisations. Find out more about scholarships from charities and trusts, and external funding opportunities.

Postgraduate loans and bursaries

Many Masters students choose to apply for a government-backed loan part of their funding package. This is available for UK students on full-time, part-time or distance learning taught or research Masters degree courses. Find out more about the government-backed postgraduate loan and how to apply. 

If you are a UK student taking certain health and social care courses, you may be able to get NHS funding. Find out more about NHS funding.

For more information about the relationship between fees, student loans and Sharia Law view our financial support for Muslim students.

International students

Studying abroad is a big investment. You might be able to get funding from government, independent sponsors, the University or other funding bodies. 

Check if any funding is available from your country to study in the UK. This could be from your home government, or from companies or organisations based in your home country. Visit their websites or contact your local government office. 

The UK government offers postgraduate scholarships for international students, such as the Chevening Awards and the Commonwealth Scholarships. 

There is also funding for students in specific countries which you can get more information on from the British Council website

EU students starting their course in the 2021/2022 academic year or later are classed as international students.