We are pleased to offer scholarships for forced migrants to the UK. The Sanctuary Scholarship is open to people who wish to study any undergraduate, postgraduate or research degree.
The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition and £10,000 a year towards study costs.
There are a limited number of scholarships available. Successful applicants will be chosen using a set of selection criteria before a shortlisted group will be invited to interview. Successful applicants will not have to repay any of the money they receive through the scholarship.
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship for 2022 entry will open on Monday 28 February 2022.
Degrees you can study
You can apply for this scholarship if you have an offer or intend to study any of the following degrees full-time or part-time:
- Any undergraduate degree (including Foundation degrees) starting in September 2022.
- Any postgraduate degree starting in September 2022 or January 2023.
- Any research degree, including a PhD, starting from September 2022 to February 2023.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a forced migrant to the United Kingdom (a person displaced from their homeland or place of residence for political, economic, ethnic, environmental, or human rights pressures)
- Be unable to access mainstream funding, for example from Student Finance England or a local authority grant
- Have already applied to study at the University in the 2022/23 Academic Year. You must have received your offer to study by 9 May 2022.
- Not have a degree from a UK University of the same level or higher that you wish to study at Leeds in 2022/23.
As well as meeting all of the above criteria, you also will need to have the residency status of one of the following:
- Asylum Seeker - currently seeking asylum within the UK or Refused Asylum Seeker where your application for refugee status has been denied and a fresh claim is in process
- Refugee status or the spouse or child of someone with refugee status
- Limited or Discretionary leave to remain
- Humanitarian Protection status or the spouse or child of someone with Humanitarian Protection status
- Indefinite leave to remain
- Section 67 Leave
- Calais Leave.
Please note that to be successful in an application for the Sanctuary Scholarship, you must be found as eligible for paying tuition fees at the UK rate. If you receive an offer to study that states you are liable for tuition fees at the International rate, please ensure you have gone through the fee assessment process to confirm whether or not this is correct.
This scholarship is awarded on the understanding that students will continue to have immigration status that allows them to study for the duration of their course. If the student's immigration permission does change so that they were not permitted to study, the scholarship may be cancelled.
Please be aware that deciding for faith reasons not to receive student finance does not grant eligibility for the Sanctuary Scholarship. For Sharia-compliant funding opportunities, please see our page on financial support for Muslim students.
Offers to study
To apply for the Sanctuary Scholarship, you must have already applied for your course of study, but do not necessarily have to have received your offer to study.
However, you must have received your offer to study by the scholarship closing date of 9 May 2022 at 9am. If you have not received your offer to study by this date, we will be unable to consider your application for the Sanctuary Scholarship.
As such, we would recommend all applicants to the Sanctuary Scholarship who have not yet received an offer to study:
- Apply for their course of study as soon as possible to give it the maximum time to process
- Contact their relevant admissions team by email to inform them of their scholarship application and that they need their application to study processed by the deadline. If you are applying for an Undergraduate or Masters programme, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are applying for a Research Degree, contact your graduate school.
Applications for the Sanctuary Scholarship for 2022 entry will open on Monday 28 February 2022 and will remain open until 12.00pm on Monday 9 May 2022.
Please note, applying for the Sanctuary Scholarship is not the same as applying for a place on your chosen course. The Sanctuary Scholarship application is for funding only. To apply for a place on your chosen course, search for your programme and follow the instructions on the relevant page.
If you have any questions about the scholarship or wish to submit your supplementary evidence please email email@example.com.