Information for international Masters students

You’ll join a friendly and diverse global community here at Leeds.

We’ve been welcoming international students for over 100 years, so you can be sure of experienced help and support.

Support for international Masters students

Before you arrive

We provide information and services to help you prepare for Leeds. You’ll get practical advice on travel, our welcome services, what to bring with you and when to arrive.

Visit International offer holder events and activities for opportunities to connect with the University and other students, both online and in your country.

We have offices in China, India, Malaysia and Nigeria, as well as a global network of representatives who can advise you about studying here.

Arriving in Leeds

We offer support and activities to welcome you and help you get settled in your first weeks in Leeds.

As well as the welcome activities run by your school, you’ll be invited to our international orientation, a week-long programme of talks, tours and social events to help you meet people and feel at home.

Find out more about how we'll support you on our arrival pages.

Settling in

There are lots of ways to make friends at the University. Through our University Buddy Scheme, you can be matched with another student and start making connections.

You can enjoy interests and hobbies through the many clubs and societies at Leeds University Union, and you can meet students from all around the world at our weekly Global Café

We also offer support to help international families feel at home.

Ongoing support

We offer support to help you throughout your time at Leeds, including visa and immigration advice and activities specifically for international students. 

You can find out more about life as an international student at Leeds by chatting to our friendly Link to Leeds student ambassadors or reading their blogs.

Additional information

If you are coming to the UK to study, there are some additional things to consider.

Applying for a visa

As an international student, you may need a Student visa.

First, you will need to pay a tuition fee deposit or provide evidence that your tuition fees are fully covered by a University-recognised sponsor or scholarship. We will send you information about this through the application portal if you accept an unconditional offer.

We will then be able to issue your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The earliest that we can issue your CAS is six months before the start of your course. Once you have this, you can apply for a Student visa.

For further information on your visa application and UKVI regulations, visit Applying for a Student visa.

The University has specialist visa advisors who can answer questions about visa applications and advise on documents required at any stage in the process. Email visa advisors via

Pre-sessional English courses

Our pre-sessional English courses can help you meet the English language requirements of your Masters and prepare you for life and study at a UK university.

You’ll benefit from:

  • help in improving your level of academic English to meet University entry requirements and perform effectively in the academic environment of your subject
  • opportunities to practise the skills you’ll need for your Masters, such as writing assignments, conducting research exercises, and participating in discussions
  • learning on campus, becoming familiar with University systems, services and facilities before you begin your Masters

Our summer courses are tailored to your subject area, so you learn academic English that specifically prepares you for your degree.

Summer courses are full-time over ten or six weeks and entry requirements vary depending on the language requirements and subject area of your Masters course. 

Courses are also available online, or for longer periods, but these options may not be tailored to your subject area.

For more information, entry requirements and how to apply, visit Postgraduate pre-sessional English courses.


Related links