Applying FAQs

This page is for prospective undergraduate applicants and those holding an offer for 2022 entry.

For the latest coronavirus information for applicants or offer holders, please visit our COVID-19 frequently asked questions.

Information for applicants and offer holders for 2022 entry

When will I know if I have been made an offer?

We typically receive a high number of applications to our courses. We aim to make decisions on applications submitted by the January UCAS deadline by the end of March.

For some subject areas, including business, computinglaw and media and communication, we may put your application on hold until after the UCAS deadline before making a final decision to ensure that we treat all applications fairly. This is a normal part of our process and may mean you have to wait a little longer to hear from us, though we will still aim to make a decision by the end of March. For more information about application decisions for these courses, visit the relevant subject webpage.

Why might my application be put on hold?

We sometimes put applications on hold to make sure that we don’t make too many offers for your course before the UCAS deadline. This means that all applications received before the UCAS deadline are guaranteed equal consideration.

This also helps us to ensure we get the planned number of students on your course, giving you the high quality student experience that you expect from Leeds.

Will my application being on hold affect my other UCAS applications?

If we put your application to Leeds on hold, this will not affect your other applications. You should reply to your offers only when you have received all your decisions. Other universities will not change their offers if you are awaiting a decision from another institution. You can find key dates for the entire application process on the UCAS website.

I've applied for an undergraduate course at Leeds and received an offer. Will I be able to attend an applicant visit day?

If you are holding an offer at Leeds, you should receive an invitation to an applicant visit day. These will take place from January onwards and give you a chance to hear from both academic staff and students so that you can find out more about your course and what it’s like to study at Leeds.

How can I find out what modules I will study?

Information about the modules currently available on each course can be found in our Coursefinder, though please be aware that modules may be subject to change from year to year.

Information for prospective applicants

How do I apply?

You must apply for an undergraduate degree course online via UCAS. It provides guidance on filling in your UCAS undergraduate application. You can also see our how to apply page for further information.

What grades do I need?

The minimum entry requirements for our undergraduate courses vary depending on the course. Check Coursefinder for the most up-to-date information. You can also see our how to apply page for further information.

I'm not studying A-levels, can I still apply to Leeds?

We accept a wide range of qualifications equivalent to A-levels. To do a degree at Leeds you will need to meet our minimum entry requirements and specific requirements for your chosen course, which you can find through Coursefinder.

I haven't got the grades, or don't think I'll achieve the required grades for my course; should I still apply?

At Leeds we recognise that not all applicants are able to demonstrate their talents and potential through grades alone.

We have an alternative admissions scheme that helps students from underrepresented groups have the chance to study at Leeds. This includes our Access to Leeds scheme, which considers your personal circumstances and gives special consideration to applicants who meet the scheme eligibility criteria, and have the potential to succeed at university.

Do you offer foundation level programmes and extended degrees?

If you don’t have the formal qualifications for direct entry to one of our degree courses, you could apply for one of our extended degree courses. These begin with a preparatory foundation year to help you gain the necessary academic skills and knowledge to progress to the standard degree. We also offer a one year, part-time preparatory degree programme, Interdisciplinary Studies.

For international students, we have an International Foundation Year, which is an essential preparatory year for students with high school qualifications that do not enable direct entry to bachelor’s degrees. For more information, see our international admissions qualifications page.

Do you accept General Studies and Critical Thinking?

Some of our courses may accept Critical Thinking and General Studies. Please refer to Coursefinder or search the UCAS website to see whether departments include these qualifications in their offers.

Do you accept the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)?

We accept the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), but it isn't a requirement of an offer. However, we appreciate it provides the opportunity for you to develop important research and academic skills.

For some courses we may make an alternative offer that involves successful completion of the Extended Project (for example, AAB plus A in the Extended Project as an alternative to AAA at A-Level). Please contact the relevant admissions team to find out more; contact details can be found using the contact details on the course page.

Do you take extenuating circumstances into account?

We advise that your school includes information about your mitigating circumstances in the reference that they write as part of your UCAS form and, where possible, expect that this should have been taken into consideration by the exam board so that any adjustments can be made at the point of assessment and marking. If you’d like to discuss your situation, please contact the admissions team for your course, using the contact details on the course page.

Can I apply for deferred entry?

For many courses, we’re happy to receive applications for deferred entry, which can be submitted during your last year at school. We’d encourage you to use your personal statement to explain your reasons for taking a gap year. Please note that you’ll still need to meet any conditions of your offer by 31 August in the academic year in which you apply.

However, for some particularly competitive courses we’re not able to consider applications for deferred entry. This is because we receive a high number of applications to these programmes and we need to assess all applications for a given year of entry at the same time to ensure fairness. If we’re not able to accept deferred entry, this will be stated on the relevant Coursefinder page.

Will I have to attend an interview as part of the application process?

Some of our courses do require an interview, such as Medicine, Midwifery and Social Work. To find out more, check the entry requirements for your chosen course on Coursefinder.

Do you offer any scholarships?

Yes, there are a number of scholarships available to undergraduate students at Leeds.

Can I arrange to visit the University?

We usually hold University open days and campus tours throughout the year. For further details, please see our open days and visits page.

Can I transfer to Leeds from another university?

Most of our schools will consider requests to transfer onto a course from another university. You usually need to show that you have met the course's standard first year entry requirements, as well as be performing well in your current degree, which must be relevant to the new course. For further information, get in touch with the relevant admissions team using the contact details on the course page.

Can I do a study year abroad or work placement year?

Many of our courses offer the opportunity to study abroad at one of our 300+ university partners worldwide or to take a placement year with organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors in the UK or overseas. Please check our Coursefinder to find out more about the opportunities available as part of your chosen course.