Student visa financial document checklist

To apply for a Student visa, you must be able to show you have enough money to pay for your course and to pay your living costs in the UK. 

The money can come from one or more of the following:  

  • Cash funds in the bank. This includes savings accounts, current accounts, deposit accounts, investment accounts and pensions savings even when notice must be given. Company accounts are not acceptable
  • Official financial or government sponsorship or grant.
  • A student loan from a government, government sponsored loan company, or a regulated student loans scheme

This page details which documents you can provide as evidence.

Other accounts or financial instruments such as stock and shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards, bitcoin savings and pension funds are not acceptable, regardless of notice period.

UKVI have confirmed they will accept funds that are frozen in a certificate of deposit.

How to calculate the costs

You need to have enough money to pay your outstanding (first year) tuition fee plus living expenses.

Living expenses are £1,023 per month for a maximum of 9 months = £9,207.

If you are studying for less than 9 months you only need to show the amount for the number of months you are studying. For example, if you are studying a 6-month course you only need to show £1023 x 6 = £6138.

If you have paid some or all of your tuition fees you can deduct this from the overall amount. For example for a 9-month course:

  • If your tuition fees are £22,500 and you have paid £1,500 you will need to show £30,207 in total (£21,000 for tuition fees, plus £9207 for living costs)
  • If you have paid all your tuition fees then you only need to show your living expenses of £9,207.

Evidence you can provide

Cash funds in the bank

If you are paying your costs through cash funds in the bank, you can provide either a bank statement or letter from the bank as evidence. It must show:

  • Your name or your parent’s name
  • Your partner’s name if your partner is present in the UK or applying at the same time as you
  • Bank name and logo
  • Full account number
  • Date of the letter (which must be no older than 31 days on the date you pay online for your visa)
  • The money you have in your account. This amount must be enough to cover your tuition fees and living expenses.
  • If using a bank letter, the letter must confirm that these funds have been held for a consecutive 28 day period
  • If you are using your parents account you must also submit your original birth certificate and a letter from your parents confirming they are funding your studies in the UK. 
  • Official translations will be required if documents are not in English

You can provide a download of electronic bank statements as long as it has the above information.  You do not need to have these stamped by the bank.

UKVI may do verification checks with your bank.  If UKVI cannot verify the funds your application may be refused. 

Certain countries need to use bank statements that are accepted by UKVI. Please check on the UK Government website to see if your country is affected and check if your bank statement is accepted.

Official financial sponsorship

If you are paying your costs through official financial sponsorship must provide a letter from the sponsor including:

  • Your name
  • The name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
  • The date of the letter
  • The length of your sponsorship
  • The amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs.

This letter must be on official letter headed paper (no copies or scanned copies) 

A loan

If you are paying through a loan you must provide a letter from a regulated financial institution confirming:

  • Your name
  • Date of the letter (which must be no more than 6 months old before date of application)
  • The amount of money available as a loan
  • That the loan is provided by either the relevant government or a government sponsored student loan company or an academic or educational loans scheme
  • Confirms there are no conditions on release of the loan funds other than a successful application to study
  • Confirms the funds will be available to you, or paid directly to the sponsor, before you begin your course

Exempt nationalities 

Certain nationalities are not required to submit their financial documents with your application. Check if your nationality is exempt to see if this applies to you.

However you should stilnl hold the required level of funds as UKVI reserve the right to request evidence of funds.