Visas for study abroad, exchange and summer school

Whether you are a study abroad/exchange student or will be attending the Leeds International Summer School, it is important that you get the right visa for your studies 

The length of time you can stay in the UK depends on your visa.

Study visas

There are two types of visa to choose from, they are the Student visa and the Standard Visitor visa.

Find out which visa you will need based on the length of time you will be studying in the UK:

If you are studying in the UK for more than six months

If you are studying for a period of more than six months, you must apply for a Student visa before travelling to the UK. 

Read our step-by-step guide on how to apply for a Student visa.  

If you are studying in the UK for less than six months

If you are studying for a period of less than six months, you may be able to choose between applying for a Student visa or a Standard Visitor visa.

A Standard Visitor visa is suitable for most study abroad/exchange students, but a Student visa allows you to work part time while you are studying. 

Read our comparison guide to help you decide which visa to apply for.

If you are studying with Leeds International Summer School (LISS)

If you are studying with LISS, you need a Standard Visitor visa. 

Find out more about this type of visa on our which visa should I apply for? page.

Who do I contact if I need visa advice?

If you have a question, or would like us to check your visa application, please contact the Student Visa Advice service.