Visas for research and study visits

Whether you are looking to visit the University of Leeds as a student or to do research, you will need to know who to contact and which visa to apply for.

Before making an immigration application, you should confirm details of your visit with the relevant academic department. They will usually need to provide you with a document for immigration purposes. 

When applying for a visa, you should choose the immigration category that best describes the purpose of your visit, taking care to ensure that you meet all of the requirements.

Visits from short-term students who want to undertake taught studies

If you want to visit Leeds for a taught course, you must contact the appropriate office before you make a visa application:

Visiting postgraduate researchers

To be eligible to visit us as a postgraduate researcher, you must be studying a research degree elsewhere and will be visiting the University of Leeds to undertake research toward this degree.

Before you apply for a visa, you will need to contact the school you wish to study in to see if this is possible. You will then need to apply to study at the University and, if accepted, your school will then provide you with an offer letter that you can use for your visa application.

There is a visiting postgraduate researcher fee, if your visit is for less than 12 months this will be charged pro rata as indicated in the rate table.

Visits to Leeds for periods of research up to six months

You will need a Standard Visit Visa.

Find out more information about this visa on our Which visa should I apply for? page.

Visits to Leeds for periods of research of more than six months

You will need a Student visa if your visit will last for more than six months. Read our step-by-step guide on how to apply for a Student visa.

Please note: the Home Office requires the University to monitor the attendance of all Student visa holders. We must report all extended, unauthorised absence to UK Visas and Immigration.

Once your visa has been granted, you can then register online as a miscellaneous research non-degree (non-award bearing) student via the normal online registration route and obtain a student ID card.