Undergraduate pre-sessional English  Frequently asked questions

Find the answers to some frequently asked questions.

English language requirements 

Which English language certificates do you accept?

We accept a range of English language certificates for entry to our pre-sessional courses. Find out more about which English language certificates we accept.  
Please carefully consider which test you take, as it may affect the type of visa you are eligible to apply for. The Language Centre normally recommends a Secure English Language Test (SELT). Read more about visas.  

Can I combine scores from more than one English language test to meet the pre-sessional entry requirements?   

No, the entry requirements must be met through your most recent English language qualification, or via your most recent IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test and One Skill Retake. 

Do I need to retake an English language qualification following the pre-sessional?   

No, you won’t need to retake another English language test if you successfully complete the pre-sessional.

Can I submit an application without an English language qualification?    

Yes, you can submit an application without an English language qualification, but you’ll need to provide an eligible qualification before the relevant deadline.

How long will the results of the pre-sessional course be valid for?    

Our pre-sessional course result is valid for two years from the date of completion. 
Please be aware that English language requirements for our courses are subject to a yearly review, and you may be asked to provide further English language qualifications to meet the requirements of your degree course.  

Can I change from a longer pre-sessional course to a shorter pre-sessional if I provide a new English language qualification?

Yes, if your new English language qualification meets the entry requirements for the shorter duration pre-sessional and there are places on the course. You’ll need to meet the deadlines for any of the courses you apply for.     


How do I apply? 

If you know which course you want to apply for, you can apply via the application portal. To find out which course you need and to apply, use the entry requirements on our Undergraduate pre-sessional English page to find the right course option for you. Select your preferred course to see course information, fees and to apply.  

My degree course offer is unconditional. Can I apply for a pre-sessional course?  

Yes, you can study a pre-sessional course even if you meet the English language requirements of your degree.

Depending on your current level of English and the entry requirements of your degree programme, the admissions team will be able to give you further advice on this when you apply. 

A pre-sessional course will help you develop your skills, get used to academic study in the UK, and settle into Leeds. 

Can I study a longer pre-sessional course even if I am eligible for a shorter pre-sessional?   

Yes, if you feel you would benefit from studying a longer duration course, you may be able to do this. Depending on your current level of English and the entry requirements of your degree programme, the admissions team will be able to give you further advice on this when you apply. 

When will I receive a response to my application? 

We'll contact you about your pre-sessional application shortly after we receive it.

I’m applying for the online 6 week pre-sessional course. What type of CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) will I receive, and when will I receive it?  

You will receive a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) for your degree programme after successful completion of your pre-sessional course is confirmed. This will be after the end date of your pre-sessional course. You won’t receive a CAS for the pre-sessional course. 

We will issue your CAS as soon as we can after you have supplied all necessary information (eg passport details). 

Do I need to pay a tuition fee deposit? 

You don't need to pay a tuition fee deposit for your pre-sessional course.

Can I defer my pre-sessional course?   

If you hold an offer to join us, you cannot request a deferral of your offer, however, you can re-apply via your applicant portal for another start date. 

Can I start my on-campus pre-sessional course online if my visa application is delayed?    

No, there will be no option to start online for any of the on-campus courses. If you cannot arrive in time for the on-campus pre-sessional, you should email the Language Centre at langc@leeds.ac.uk

Contact us 

If you have any other questions, please email the Language Centre at langc@leeds.ac.uk