Bringing together expertise from across a large academic community, LITAC tackles global challenges through collaborative research and innovation, working nationally and internationally with business, NGOs, and other academic institutions.
Our research mainly focuses on developing innovative science and technology, new approaches and methods, including work on new polymers, textile materials, chemical treatments, manufacturing processes, testing methods and digital tools.
LITAC’s academic research in textile science and technology has led to the creation of innovative spin-out companies (companies that are developed following University research), all of which have attracted significant external investment:
- Nonwovens Innovation & Research Institute (NIRI) Ltd, a global product development and technical consultancy company, develops nonwoven and related products
- XEROS PLC develops and licenses platform technologies which transform the sustainability, performance and economics of water intensive processes, including the washing of clothing
- Keracol Ltd develops active molecules from plant sources applied in cosmetic products for hair coloration, hair care and skin care as food colorants and food ingredients and in nutraceutical applications.
Work with us
LITAC has several mechanisms and resources in place to support academics and industry partners to come together and collaborate in research, including:
- preparation of collaborative research proposals
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
- PhD scholarships developed collaboratively with industry partners
- testing and analytical services
- networking opportunities with key researchers, industry leaders and policy makers.