A research degree can expand your skills and employment prospects. Youll gain skills that are invaluable, whatever your chosen career.
Your development plan
At Leeds you can tailor your development to match your needs. With your supervisor, youll agree a personal development plan that reflects your experience and aspirations. Our online record system GRAD helps you record this, with milestones to track your progress right up to completion of your research degree.
The University runs and takes part in several researcher development programmes.
We'll also encourage you to build your research profile.
Youll have access to a huge range of training development opportunities, including:
- workshops run by services from across the University, covering topics from academic writing to using data analysis tools
- self-directed learning resources through the Universitys Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and LinkedIn Learning
- school- and faculty-led training and development
- teaching skills workshops and teaching practice opportunities
- award-winning student enterprise opportunities
Our Doctoral Colleges online courses help with all stages of your research, and in developing core skills like project and time management. Through LinkedIn Learning youll have access to Leeds-specific research-related resources, as well as thousands of courses on every topic.
The University's Careers Service offers a range of events, online resources, personal advice and support. Theyll help you understand your strengths and market yourself effectively. They offer advice specifically for researchers, about both academic and alternative career paths.