Step 1 - Accept your offer

Firmly accept your unconditional offer. 

Step 2 - Pay any tuition fee deposit required

Only taught postgraduate students are required to pay a fee deposit of £1,500. Find out how to pay

Step 3 - Check your CAS details

Check all the information on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to confirm it is correct. The CAS will be issued to you after you have accepted your offer. If you are a taught postgraduate student it will be issued after you have also paid your fee deposit.

If any details are incorrect on your CAS, please email the admissions department that issued the CAS to request a change. Their email address is listed at the bottom of the CAS statement. Any tuition fees (including fee deposits) that you have paid prior to the CAS being issued will be shown on the CAS you receive.

You will receive an electronic version of your CAS, an original version is not required for your Tier 4 application. 

Your CAS may list the qualification title level as 'NQF', when you complete your Tier 4 application the title you are asked to select is listed as 'RQF'. Please note that they are the same as each other so for example if your CAS states the qualification as 'NQF7' please select 'RQF7' on the Tier 4 application.

Step 4 - Prepare your Tier 4 application documents 

Depending on your situation, you will need some, or all, of the following documents:

  • your current passport and any other passports that you hold with you
  • two passport photos which have been taken within the last month
  • original sponsor/scholarship/bursary letter dated no more than six months old (if you are financially sponsored). Confirmation of sponsorships/scholarships/bursaries are not listed on your CAS therefore the original letter is required.
  • original financial documents — including bank statements, bank letters and savings books. You need to hold the required funds for a minimum of 28 days and your bank statement must be no more than 31 days old on the date you submit your application online. Please use this Tier 4 financial document checklist before you make your visa application.
  • if you are relying on money held in your parents’ bank accounts you will need your original birth certificate with an official translation if not in English, your parents’ bank statements and an original letter in English from your parents confirming they're supporting you
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • previous qualifications if mentioned in your CAS 
  • ATAS Certificate if applicable
  • check whether you need a tuberculosis test certificate
  • birth and marriage certificates for dependants (husband/ wife and children) if applicable and only if they're applying as part of your immigration application.

Please ensure that you apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa - applicants aged 16 and over can apply under Tier 4 (General). Please do not apply for the Tier 4 (Child) visa as the University only holds a Tier 4 (General) UKVI sponsor licence. If you have a Tier 4 (Child) visa you will not be able to study at the University. 

Please note that under the Tier 4 guidance only personal bank statements in your name or your parents name can be submitted. You are not able to use company statements, even if the company is owned by your parent nor can you use a bank statement from another relative such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle. Only personal bank statements in yours or your parents names are permitted for use.

UKVI have also confirmed that they will accept funds that are frozen in a certificate of deposit.

UKCISA have also published a useful blog on the financial requirements in Part 1 and Part 2 which can provide further assistance.

If you would like the International Student Advice team to check your financial evidence before you submit your Tier 4 application then please scan and email it to us and we will let you know if it meets the requirements.

All documents must be original and translated into English by a certified translator if they are not in English. Photocopies will not be accepted and will result in your application being refused.

Step 5 - Check your finances

In addition to demonstrating that you can pay the full first year tuition fee, you will need to show £1,015 per month for nine months (£9,135) to meet Tier 4 maintenance requirements (living expenses). If your course duration is less than nine months, then you need to show £1,015 per month for every month of the course.

You can find out more about this from UKCISA. If you're applying with dependants, you'll need to show a higher sum of money - the maintenance requirement for each dependant is £680 per month for nine months (£6,120).

If you receive financial sponsorship, a scholarship or a bursary please ensure that the funding you receive meets the above requirements. If not, you are required to submit a bank statement to supplement your funding. 

UKVI consider nationals from some countries to be "low risk" and as such, do not need to submit any financial orqualification evidence with their Tier 4 visa application. You must still meet the requirements as UKVI can request these documents at any time. Please check if your country is on the list before submitting your application

Step 6 - Complete your Tier 4 application online

Complete the application on the UKVI website, the earliest date you can submit your application is no more than 3 months before your course start date.

Please use this application guide when completing the Tier 4 online form.

The application should be made in your home country, or the country where you are normally resident.  

After submitting your Tier 4 application you will need to provide the Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code: 2HE422 to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the University of Leeds. If the ACL code does not work, please use the University postcode to collect your BRP from the University which is: LS2 9JT.

If you are applying for a Tier 1, 2 or 5 visa, you should collect your BRP from a Post Office or library and not from the University (your confirmation letter from the Home Office will tell you which Post Office or library to go to).

If you are under the age of 18 and you choose to collect your BRP from a Post Office or library and you are travelling to the UK with an adult, please ensure that the adult completes a UKVI Nomination form in advance of their travel. This will enable the adult to collect the BRP on your behalf. Nomination is not required if you choose to collect your BRP from the University. 

The application costs £348 for both main applicants and dependants. If your Tier 4 visa will be valid for more than 6 months, payment of a mandatory Immigration Health Surcharge must also be made at a cost of £300 for each year of the visa you will be issued.

If your visa covers a duration of less than 6 months, you should buy health insurance in advance of your travel to cover you for using medical services while you're in the UK. This advice also applies to students with a Tier 4 visa for less than 6 months, including students that have a visa which just covers the 10 week or 6 week pre-sessional course in the first instance. 

Please note that your Tier 4 application will be decided by UKVI on the basis of the information and documents you provide to them. The issue of a CAS does not guarantee a successful application. 

Step 7 - Submit your Tier 4 application online

Submit your Tier 4 application online and then pay the Tier 4 application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge. As part of the process you will need to book an appointment to attend in person to submit your original documents and give your biometrics.

Find a visa application centre

Credibility interviews

Anyone applying for a Tier 4 visa from outside the UK, including nationals of a low risk country, is likely to be interviewed as part of their Tier 4 application. Interviews take place when you attend a visa application centre to give your biometric information and submit your documents.

The purpose of the interview is to check whether you are a genuine student and have an adequate level of English. A UKVI member of staff will ask you about your course, why you want to study in the UK and at the University of Leeds, your education and employment history, your future plans and any other relevant information. 

What will happen next?

If your course duration is less than six months, you will be issued a vignette (visa sticker) that covers the full length of your course and you do not need to collect a BRP in the UK.

If your course is more than six months, you will be issued a vignette for 30 days and you need collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving in the UK. You need to travel to the UK within the 30 day visa. Your BRP will cover the full duration of your course.

Find out how to collect your BRP

When you enter the UK please ensure that you do not use the electronic ePassport gates as you will not receive an entry stamp on your Tier 4 vignette if you do this.

Booking flights

Please do not book your flight to the UK until you have received your visa. Most Tier 4 applications are decided within 15 working days of your visa appointment, however on occasion there can be delays and we advise against booking a flight in advance which may need to be cancelled or rescheduled. 

Vignette transfer/visa error

If there is an error on your vignette, please contact the Visa Application Centre where you made your application to  correct it before you travel.

If the passport containing your vignette has been lost or stolen, you should apply online for a Vignette transfer at a cost of £154 after you receive your new passport. When making the application select the following route - Reason for visit: Other; Visa Type: Others; Visa sub-type: Vignette transfer

You can also apply for a Vignette transfer if you will be starting your course later than expected. However, if you are a PhD student, please check with your academic school first if your course end date will remain the same otherwise you may not be able to apply to transfer for your visa. Please email if you require any further guidance.

What if my application is refused?

If your application is refused or rejected, please email a copy of the refusal letter to Please wait for our advice before making a new visa application.

Further information on making a student immigration application overseas is available from UKCISA.