If you're planning to undertake a postgraduate course and are from outside the European Economic Area you may need an ATAS certificate.

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) applies to all students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who plan to undertake postgraduate study in certain subject areas. Your course will have a Joint Academic Coding System (JACS) code which you will need to be able to identify if you require an ATAS certificate. Please check carefully to see whether your subject area is included.

If you're joining an undergraduate programme with integrated Masters you may also need ATAS clearance. If you're not sure, please contact the school where you will be studying for clarification.

If you think your course/research requires ATAS and you've not received this information, or you aren't sure what your JACS code is, please contact:

Before applying for a visa (either to come to the UK or extending your stay), you'll need to apply online for ATAS clearance and have received the certificate if you're studying a course that requires ATAS. The application process can take up to 30 working days. There's no charge for the ATAS certificate. The online application system is listed on the ATAS website. Students who need to apply for an ATAS certificate should have received information about the scheme with their offer of study.

If your course requires ATAS clearance, you are required to obtain an ATAS certificate before you make your Tier 4 application. You must also obtain an ATAS certificate before you begin you studies if you have type of immigration permission other than Tier 4.  

The application process for ATAS certificates is completely online. When your application is granted, you will be emailed your certificate. Your certificate will be valid for six months. If you change your course of study, university or need to apply for more time as a student, you'll need to apply for ATAS again.

If you require an ATAS certificate do not make an immigration application before you have your ATAS certificate as your application will be refused.