From 1 August 2017, Nursing, Midwifery and allied health profession students (other than those subject to transitional arrangements) will be able to access student loans to cover the cost of their tuition fees and means tested support for living costs, rather than having their course fees paid by Health Education England (HEE) and receiving a bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority (NHS BSA).

If you're planning to study Medicine, Dentistry, or Social Work, the funding you're entitled to may be slightly different from the standard package of funding available to other students.

Nursing, Midwifery, allied health profession courses

To view information for 2017 entry please visit the NHS BSA website

The NHS BSA are working on the detail and the process of the funding for 2018 entry; please keep checking the following websites for further information (and for clarification regarding students who are subject to transitional arrangements):

Medicine and Dentistry

If you're taking a first degree in Medicine or Dentistry you can apply for the standard government loans and support package for the first four years of your course.

From year five onwards, you may be eligible instead for the NHS student bursary scheme. Please see the NHS Student Bursaries website and the government website for the latest information.

Social Work degrees

For 2015/16 entrants, certain UK students studying towards a degree in social work also qualified for living cost support from the NHS. The Department of Health information states that selected students undertaking undergraduate level courses would receive a social work bursary in years two and three of their programme.

To view information for 2017/18 entry please visit the NHS Social Work Bursaries website Details for 2018/19 entry will be available in due course.

More details of the NHS student bursary scheme can be found at: