If you are a UK national and plan to start a full-time, part-time or distance learning taught or research Masters course from September you may be eligible to apply for a government-backed loan. Visit the government page on funding for postgraduate study for up-to-date information on government-backed loans. EU students starting their course in September 2021 or later will not be eligible for UK government loans. 

The loans are not available for Integrated Masters courses. The value, course-related and personal eligibility criteria, and method of payment vary by domicile. Scottish and Northern Irish applicants may also be eligible for funding for non-Masters programmes.

If your start date has moved to January 2021

If you intend on applying for a Masters Loan to contribute towards the cost of study and have not yet done so then you can start that application process now. The majority of our January start courses have been added to the Student Loans Company courses database. If the course you are taking is not available with a January start date then please contact the funding team in the first instance by emailing funding@leeds.ac.uk

If your start date has been moved to January 2021 then you will not receive any of your government-backed loan until the first day of your term in January at the earliest as that will be the official start date of your course. You will need to have completed the online registration and the identity check prior to the university confirming your registration with your awarding body. This triggers the release of your first instalment. Please see the following information for more details.

Registering with the University

After you apply for a postgraduate loan, and it has been approved, the University will be sent your details and you should then be able to register. If you are receiving a postgraduate loan you do not need to pay your fees up front – you will be able to set up an instalment plan with three instalments. If you have any problems with this you should contact the student funding team by emailing funding@leeds.ac.uk

How to receive your funding

  • For students from England, Scotland, Wales and the EU you will need to have registered and had your identity checked to receive the funding from your postgraduate student loan.
  • If you are studying by distance learning you will need to follow the procedure to get a student ID card remotely.
  • The funding for students from Northern Ireland is paid as a tuition fee loan and so will not be paid to the student but directly to the University.

Applying for funding

If you are having difficulty applying for your funding please contact the student funding team by emailing funding@leeds.ac.uk

Other sources of funding

You can also search our postgraduate scholarships directory.

Consumer advice site MoneySavingExpert has guidance on postgraduate student loans.