University House, University of Leeds
Tuesday 16 May 2023
Please note if you are registered to attend the conference you will receive an email to select your choice of three seminars for the breakout sessions.
Chaired by: Professor Kenny McDowall, Dean for Student Education (Portfolio and Curriculum) and Louise Banahene, Head of Educational Engagement, University of Leeds.
- 9am to 9.55am: Welcome and registration.
- 10am to 10.20am: Welcome address by Professor Kenny McDowell, Dean for Student Education (Portfolio and Curriculum), University of Leeds.
- 10.30am to 11am: Breakout session one — attendees select one seminar from the following:
- A. Alternative choices in healthcare – more than just doctors and nurses
- B. The benefits of post-16 maths qualifications for students pursuing a vast range of degrees
- C. Contextual admissions – improving opportunities for underrepresented students
- 11am to 11.15am: Coffee break.
- 11.20am to 12pm: Plenary session: University of Leeds students collaborate, are curious, take risks and thrive by Professor Jeff Grabill, Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Student Education, University of Leeds.
- 12.10pm to 12.40pm: Breakout session two: attendees select one seminar from the following:
- A. Routes into medicine: an update on the local and national picture
- B. Study and careers in geoscience
- C. Researching the difference: exploring the impact of project-based qualifications on
social mobility in HE
- 12.45pm to 1.35pm: Lunch.
- 1.40pm to 2.30pm: Keynote address: UCAS update by Dr Katie Bell, Chief Marketing Officer, UCAS.
- 2.40pm to 3.10pm: Breakout session three: attendees select one seminar from the following:
- A. How University campus data can support EPQs and other student projects
- B. Widening access: journey to the University of Leeds
- C. "Why should I study this? It won't help me get a job!"
- 3.10pm: Close.
- 3.20pm to 4pm: Optional campus tour.