There may be additional costs related to your course or programme of study. Some of these costs will optional and depend on the modules that you take:

  • Study abroad, work placements, field work, field trips – there will be travel, accommodation and subsistence costs
  • Attending conferences for postgraduate researchers
  • Professional body membership fees and / or exams
  • Clothing and equipment – for example specialist equipment such as stethoscopes and specialist and protective clothing
  • Materials that are specific to a project or piece of work including art materials and equipment
  • Assessment and skills days (healthcare)
  • Video assessments (only relevant to small number of courses and includes the cost of transferring data from video camera to DVD)

In addition to costs associated with your course or programme of study, there are additional costs that you may incur as a student at the University of Leeds. This is not an exhaustive list and some, or all, may be relevant to you. However, it is useful for you to be aware of the types of things you may have to pay for.

  • Printing – in the majority of cases, course work and assessments can be submitted online. Some students may be required to submit work in a printed format. Students can print anywhere on campus via the MyPrint service and we have an on-campus printing facility for specialist print services
  • If you are a postgraduate researcher you are required to submit your thesis for examination in printed and soft-bound format. After successful examination, you will need to submit one printed and hard-bound copy of the thesis for retention in the University Library
  • Photocopying
  • Books – a wide range of resources, including most core texts, are available in the library or online. However, you may be required to or prefer to buy your own copy of key text books
  • PCs and laptops – PCs and laptops are available on campus in IT clusters, libraries and cafes. However, as there is limited provision you may find it useful to have your own PC, laptop or tablet which you can use around campus and in University halls of residences
  • Mobile phone or tablet (Android or Apple)  – you will benefit from having an Android or Apple phone or tablet to access the UniLeeds mobile app and other online services
  • Stationery
  • Overseas travel – additional costs associated with travelling overseas including immunisation and visas
  • Disclosure and barring service checks (formerly Criminal Service Bureau or CRB checks), this is required for certain jobs or voluntary work, for example working with children or in healthcare. For more information visit the Government website
  • Exam resit – there may be a charge if you need to re-sit an exam.
  • Examination resubmission fees for postgraduate researchers. Read our guide for candidates whose theses are referred for resubmission.
  • Graduation – read about the graduation and the cost of hiring your gown for your degree ceremony
  • Clubs and societies – membership fee / subscription fees, a full list of clubs and societies and information on fees is available on the student union website
  • Membership of the Edge (sport and leisure facility) – You can take advantage of the on-campus health and fitness facility, The Edge. See details of membership prices
  • Childcare – The University has an on-campus nursery facility which students with children can access. The prices associated with this can be found on the nursery website

There are other general living costs which you will need to budget for.