“I’ve returned to campus to share my experiences with current students. I tell them, if you’ve an idea and passion you can develop this, gain specialist knowledge, source funds, and it can turn into something much bigger.”
At Leeds, you could access support to help you start your own business. Whether you want to learn about enterprise or become an entrepreneur, we can help you tailor your experience.
Our business start-up service, Spark, could help you with:
- access to grants and funding to help get you started
- training and events to help you learn about setting up and running a business
- access to careers advice to help you decide whether starting a business is right for you
- advice and mentoring including access to alumni to help you from concept to start-up and beyond
You could take advantage of workshops to help you develop your knowledge and grow your ideas. We hold an annual enterprise boot camp to help you learn about the practical aspects of starting a business, networking events and access to our experienced business mentors.
Our students and graduates can access professional office space, meeting rooms and business advisors through the Leeds Innovation Centre. You could also join the enterprise society to improve your entrepreneurial skills.
The University won the Entrepreneurship award at the Guardian University Awards 2016
If you have an idea for a social enterprise we could help you with the funding to set it up and ensure you get expert advice and support, through our Leeds for Life Foundation and Green Exchange initiative. Our students can develop their entrepreneurship skills while supporting external social organisations with the help of the social enterprise zone.
Scholarships and competitions
You could access funding from awards, scholarships and enterprise competitions. Find out about the available awards and check your eligibility:
- Enterprise scholarship scheme
- MSc Enterprise scholarship
- Business plan competition
- Proof of Concept fund
- The Sir Peter Thompson enterprise award: given annually to exceptionally enterprising students or graduates of the University. Applications are by invitation. For more information email email@example.com.
You'll be able to take a number enterprise and entrepreneurship modules as electives on your degree. The modules aim to help you develop skills such as commercial awareness, creative problem solving and team working, which will make you stand out to employers.
A degree in enterprise
You're able to study enterprise alongside a number of subjects as part of an undergraduate degree, giving you a firm understanding of business and entrepreneurship. If youre thinking about postgraduate study, you can study a Masters degree in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
A year in enterprise
You could be eligible to take a year out of your studies to start your own business. You would receive a £5,000 bursary to support them through the year.
View our student profiles to find out more about enterprise at Leeds