The Leeds Masters Scholarships Scheme assists postgraduates to leave Leeds equipped to excel in an economy that is
becoming progressively more competitive, and able you to take
advantage of potential career opportunities.
The aim is to encourage students from under-represented groups to
embark on a postgraduate qualification. It is part-funded by HEFCE, the
Footsteps Fund and the University of Leeds.
Please note that the application deadline for this award has now passed, and no new applications can be accepted. Existing applicants can forward queries to the Leeds Masters Scholarships Scheme administrator at email@example.com
£10,000 paid in instalments over the duration of an eligible qualification.
The eligibility criteria were:
- began your undergraduate studies in the UK in 2012 and were
charged the higher tuition fee applicable since then* (NHS-funded
courses are excluded)
- commence a full-time or part-time taught Masters programme of no
more than two years duration, at the University of Leeds beginning
September 2015. This must lead directly to an MA, MBA, MEd, MMus, MPH,
MRes, MSc or LLM qualification
- be a UK/EU student paying postgraduate tuition fees at the UK/EU rate
- not already hold a Masters degree
- not have your taught postgraduate tuition fees covered for you for example by an employer or public funding body (eg NHS)
Plus one of the following secondary criteria which demonstrate being part of an under-represented group
- can evidence that you were in receipt of Disabled Students Allowances during undergraduate studies
- can evidence that you come from a Low Participation Neighbourhood as defined using the tool at http://www.hefce.ac.uk/postcode.
This is targeted at students who come from an area where it is less
common to progress to university. The postcode entered and verified must
be the same postcode as the one listed on your 2012/13 Student Finance
- can evidence that you come from a postcode which is in deciles 1
or 2 based on the Index of Multiple Deprivation datasets, which means
you come from an area which scores highly over a range of deprivation
topics. You can check your postcode using the tool at http://www.opendatacommunities.org/showcase/deprivation. The postcode entered and verified must be the same postcode as the one listed on your 2012/13 Student Finance documentation.
- can evidence a family household income of no more than the equivalent of £42,620 for the most recent tax year.
Successful Leeds Masters scholarship scheme applicants
will not be able to hold another University of Leeds scholarship or
bursary at the same time as this award (with the exception of the Alumni
Bursary where applicable).
- English students entering undergraduate study at any UK institution from September 2012 and paying higher fees
- non-UK EU students entering undergraduate study at any English institution from September 2012 and paying higher fees
- Scottish students entering undergraduate study at any English,
Welsh or Northern Irish institutions from September 2012 and paying
- Northern Irish students entering undergraduate study at any
English, Welsh or Scottish institution from September 2012 and paying
This award is not open to applicants who have missed the final deadline of 7 August, or those who do not meet the full eligibility criteria, including those who are:
- students from Wales who entered undergraduate study from
September 2012, since the Welsh Government through the Student Loans
Company provided tuition fee grants to all Welsh students to cover the
increase in fees
- students from EU countries outside the UK who entered
undergraduate study from September 2012 at an institution in Wales, if
they were in receipt of a tuition fee grant from the Student Loans
Company that covered the increase in fees
- students from Scotland or other EU countries outside the UK who
entered undergraduate study from September 2012 at an institution in
Scotland, if their fees were paid for them by the Student Awards Agency
- students from Northern Ireland or other EU countries outside the
UK who entered undergraduate study from September 2012 at an
institution in Northern Ireland
- students who studied for their undergraduate degree outside the UK
- applying for deferred entry in a year other than 2015
- studying/ intending to study for a PGCE, postgraduate research degree, integrated Masters degree or intercalated degree
- can access funding for their Masters course through the Student Loans Company or NHS Student Bursaries
- already hold a qualification at Masters level, including an enhanced first degree or integrated bachelors-masters degree
The scholarships are highly competitive and just meeting the
criteria will not guarantee you an award. Short-listing takes into
account a range of indicators which may show that an applicant is from a
less advantaged background.
Application deadline: 5pm on Friday 7 August 2015
The application deadline has passed and no further applications will be accepted.
As a competitive award, all applications will be judged against
each other once the deadline has passed; we will therefore aim to
provide a decision no later than Friday 21 August.
Please note that the application deadline for this award has now passed and no new applications can be accepted. Existing applicants can forward queries to the Leeds Masters Scholarships Scheme administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other scholarships and bursaries may be available for Masters study. Browse our scholarships database